Rusted firebox repair question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nascar_in_tx

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hey All,

I have a New Braunfels Hondo smoker with offset firebox. Have had it for about 10 years. The firebox has had rust on it from early on, it got to the point that the plate to control the airflow was rusted in place.

I drilled the bolt, put a torch to it and was finally able to twist the bolt off. I've used a steel brush on the end of a drill to take down much of the rust.

What is the best thing to use to help minimize future rust on the firebox? I want to smoke a brisket next weekend and really don't won't to take a chance of chemical flavors getting into the meat.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie

Wipe the firebox off with veg. oil after it cools but is still warm.  Just like an iron frying pan.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky