Rubs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Choppper01

Original poster
May 31, 2020
Sunderland, ON
What is everyone's go to rub when smoking a brisket? Or, anything else, for that matter.
The first one I did was amazing. Stupidly I did not save it, and can no longer find it. I know it had Kosher salt, black pepper (roughly 1/3 cup), paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and a few more things that I don't recall. If I could find it (or someone has it), that would make my smoking life so much the better!

I make my own, what my family/friends or I want as far as flavor.

I also take notes on what worked and what failed, and trust me I have a lot of rubs that have failed and some that I/we love. I made a list of Sweet, Mild, Hot and Very Hot and what type of meat I used it on.

Not sure if it saved money on store bought rubs but I know what is in the rub since I mixed it up.

I subscribe to Aaron Franklin's philosophy of equal parts coarse salt and 16 mesh pepper for brisket and 2/1 ratio of pepper and salt on pork

SPOG will work every time. I've done more than a dozen over the years with course Kosher salt & medium grind black pepper.

SPOG on pretty much everything that’s not pork. Jeff’s Rub on pork (I use a little less brown sugar that what it calls for). Hardcore Carnivore on steak and tritip if I have it though.

This has been my go to for a couple of years now for pork and chicken:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tbsp course black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne

One note. We recently had to cut way down on Sodium, so instead of the kosher salt I use 1 tsp of "salt substitute", and lately we haven't cared for the hot stuff like we used to so I cut the cayenne in half. We don't miss either.
For brisket it was always just salt and pepper, but that will change now too. I'm going to try using no rub at all...

I make my own, what my family/friends or I want as far as flavor.

I also take notes on what worked and what failed, and trust me I have a lot of rubs that have failed and some that I/we love. I made a list of Sweet, Mild, Hot and Very Hot and what type of meat I used it on.

Not sure if it saved money on store bought rubs but I know what is in the rub since I mixed it up.

I like that idea. I should really start doing that myself

This has been my go to for a couple of years now for pork and chicken:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt
2 tbsp course black pepper
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp cayenne

One note. We recently had to cut way down on Sodium, so instead of the kosher salt I use 1 tsp of "salt substitute", and lately we haven't cared for the hot stuff like we used to so I cut the cayenne in half. We don't miss either.
For brisket it was always just salt and pepper, but that will change now too. I'm going to try using no rub at all...

I think I tried this on my last brisket. Great flavour there

This is "supposedly" BBQ Pit Boys SPG recipe. Don't know if it's true, but I sure do like it. I cut the black pepper in half.

2 Tbsp Coarse ground Black Pepper

1 Tbsp Coarse Salt (non iodized)

1 Tbsp Granulated Garlic (1/2 Tbsp of Garlic powder)

1 Tbsp Paprika

1 Tbsp Dill Seed

1 Tbsp Ground Coriander

2 Tsp Crushed red Pepper flakes

Dave

What is everyone's go to rub when smoking a brisket? Or, anything else, for that matter.
The first one I did was amazing. Stupidly I did not save it, and can no longer find it. I know it had Kosher salt, black pepper (roughly 1/3 cup), paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and a few more things that I don't recall. If I could find it (or someone has it), that would make my smoking life so much the better!
I like the Meat Church products for everything

SPOG using coarse S&P and granulated garlic. Once it starts to slurry on the surface a light dusting of espresso. If I use a pre made I like some of the dirt rubs. I buy a local one that nice with the charcoal, light salt, pepper and savories.

I make the same as smokeymose when I want home made, lazy and really like sucklebusters 1836rub on anything beef most of the time, a little hot pepper if ya need it lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky