Rotisserie Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rdowens

Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Millville, NJ
I want the 8" E-Z Que rotisserie for my Weber kettle. This item has been out-of-stock since at least Christmas. Despite their claims it will be available by the end of this month, I have my doubts.

Anyhow, I am now entertaining other options. The reason the 8" E-Z Que was at the top of the list is that I desire to do prime rib.

What I don't understand with the standard Weber rotisserie, is how one threads a roast onto the spit. Does the spit rod go through the roast? If so, not only would that be difficult to accomplish methinks, it is playing with an expensive piece of meat.

I am looking for photographs and descriptions of how folks mount roasts on a spit. Poultry is easy as the rod goes through the bird. How are roasts mounted onto a rotisserie?

I appreciate the help.

It's got a pointy end on the spit. Stab the meat (long ways) with it, secure in place with end forks and tie off with heavy twine. Works for me.

I've been at a few roti events now and I've seen the stab method work the best on balanced items . with and with out forks to hold the ends. this system is easy to balance and usually comes with a counterwieght for this purpose. the spit is usually a square, hexagonal or channeled to accept the counterweight and the forks and so that them will not turn under a load! And by piggybacking the meat together.. you can get two to three chickens on one spit.or butts think Gyros.. Butchers string or wire can help hold all this together too.

I'va also seen a cage like appratius that you open a door and the meat vegis and the like gets deposited in .. and then flops around until done. The last one I saw like this held a whole hog in montana!! The downfall of this type is the tendancy for the products to fall apart.. or get unevenlly cooked. wire and twine can hold things to the mesh walls for awhile but tend to break off as the uneven load turns.

I ordered a whole hog while living in New Zealand to spit roast... (took 10 hours) and the butcher who had all the Equipment mounted it and delivered it for us! it was stabbed thru the carcass and head! and the BOLTED to the spit thru the Backbone with the equivlent of 1/4 inch bolts and a plate! it worked great and we fed 125 people!

the most important thing with rotis is the balance issue.. and unbalanced spit will stall . turn slowly burn the meat. and in the extreme .. you'll burn out the little motor..

All the best !

Keep 'em smoking!

How does the meat look once it is taken off the spit? The cost of a prime rib makes me cautious to put a hole through it.

I'd love to see photographs of one that was taken off a spit.

I imagine a hole at either end... and juices everywhere ... the only reservation about doing prime on the spit is that your going to loose all the jusices into the fire..

In the past I seared and put mine in a dutch oven.. and filled the dutch with course kosher salt ... saved all the juice internally .. just drained everywhere!

I haven't done one, but found a pic on photobucket which may help.

Your drippings should not be going into the fire. You're supposed to Rotiss using indirect. In restuarants when then roast on a spit, the heat comes in from the rear of the meat only. On my kettle, I have a hard time getting enough heat (for chicken over 325*) using only 1 indirect coal basket, so I use two baskets, front and rear. The meat is not over the coals. You'll want to put a drip pan under it.

I haven't had my Weber rotiss too long, and have not done a roast on it yet. However, I used to make roasts on a different grill and rotiss some years ago, and they were always beautifully juicy even after having been pierced by the spit and forks.

I thought it looked like a beautiful hunk of meat
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

You're talking two little holes that more than likely will seal up pretty much. I really can't see what you concern should be. Just be sure you don't over do it if doing Prime.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky