Frustrated

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm really looking forward to it. I eyeballed the cut a tad as I was taking it off a costco slab. At 2328g it JUST fits into the 1g ziploc bag with enough room to let me close it.

I was contemplating adding pepper and garlic, but I may just go with the recipe as is and see how it goes. then again, it's such a large hunk of meat, there's plenty of room to try something else here and there.

The folks here are quite pleasant and helpful. They've really helped me up my game in a hurry!
There are several different methods to cure bacon... all have been demonstrated on this site to be safe. At some point you should try them all to find which one you prefer. This applies to belly, loin, and buckboard bacon. You can look up Pop's brine, Bearcarver has some step by steps using tenderquick. Dry cures, and equilibrium brines. Each of us prefer one a little more than another... personal preference.
Also don't worry about cutting a slab in half to try different methods or added seasoning for side by side comparison. Or you can use 2 gallon ziplock bags.

Ryan

Don't be a stranger. We've all done it, or will do it, and we learn something each time.

Tell us a bit about you and such.
I live in British Columbia, Canada. I’m an avid hunter, fisher, forager. I have two kids and a beautiful wife. I love cooking and use my smoker a lot. I am looking forward to expanding my repertoire and delving into the world of smoked cured meats.

I live in British Columbia, Canada. I’m an avid hunter, fisher, forager. I have two kids and a beautiful wife. I love cooking and use my smoker a lot. I am looking forward to expanding my repertoire and delving into the world of smoked cured meats.
You’ve landed in the right spot. No BS here, glad to have you aboard.

Reactions: nlife

Nice! Welcome from central BC. I'm a hunter as well, though there have been more dry years than I care to mention. My son is the 'grouse getter' now, just like my brother and I were for my dad back when we were kids.

I used to fish a lot, but my wife and son refuse to go with me anymore since apparently I stay out too long. I'm trying to get into foraging, but haven't done a lot. I have a good location for blueberries and I really enjoy searching for moral mushrooms as well.

There are several different methods to cure bacon... all have been demonstrated on this site to be safe. At some point you should try them all to find which one you prefer. This applies to belly, loin, and buckboard bacon. You can look up Pop's brine, Bearcarver has some step by steps using tenderquick. Dry cures, and equilibrium brines. Each of us prefer one a little more than another... personal preference.
Also don't worry about cutting a slab in half to try different methods or added seasoning for side by side comparison. Or you can use 2 gallon ziplock bags.

Ryan

I have some buckboard bacon in the fridge as I type this. I'm looking into the other methods as well!

Nice! Welcome from central BC. I'm a hunter as well, though there have been more dry years than I care to mention. My son is the 'grouse getter' now, just like my brother and I were for my dad back when we were kids.

I used to fish a lot, but my wife and son refuse to go with me anymore since apparently I stay out too long. I'm trying to get into foraging, but haven't done a lot. I have a good location for blueberries and I really enjoy searching for moral mushrooms as well.

I have some buckboard bacon in the fridge as I type this. I'm looking into the other methods as well!
It’s been tough hunting in our area for a few years, except for turkeys, grouse and bears. we usually hunt in the far north of the province and have much better luck

Attachments

• IMG_3143.jpeg
    IMG_3143.jpeg
    339.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 0CD7B29C-15C3-4D3C-963E-18570817C61A.jpeg
    0CD7B29C-15C3-4D3C-963E-18570817C61A.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: nlife
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky