Rib membrane vent

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Quick rage post lol. I would do ribs far more often if it weren't for the membranes. I worked at a few racks of back ribs forever and couldn't remove much of the membrane at all. I use the butter knife under the membrane and a paper towel to grip etc. I have had racks where it comes off like a glove and these where I just friggin gave up. I know Al does then membrane on and burns it off at the end on a screaming hot grill. Not sure I have time for all that. I may try to pull the membrane before saucing once they've cooked for a few hours. Truly drives me nuts and has me constantly skipping over ribs to skip the frustration. Vent over lol.

Reactions: JLeonard
Interesting. I always take it off. Always. But now that I think about it, I haven't done a back rib that didn't come from Costco, and their back ribs come with the membrane off. Spares come with it on, but the spare ribs tend to come off easy.

For years I never removed the membrane and was happy. Then I started removing it for better smoke penetration and that was the only reason. In reality though I think it makes little to no difference on smoked ribs done 4-5 hours, on grilled ribs that are maybe a couple 3 hours that membrane is a texture thing, but not so much with smoked ribs. I now remove the membrane out of habit but if it fights me I just leave it and roll with it, no complaints so far.

Haha thanks all you've made feel much better. I like to think I am fairly accomplished in the kitchen but I have my weak spots no doubt. I'd put this and peeling boiled eggs at the top by a huge amount lol. Yep I've tried every suggestion I've seen both here and elsewhere. It's an Achilles heel.

We talked Damon's before but the sear/grilling is the signature Damon flavor. No other way IMO. I sear n sauce a few days later.
I'll be eating some of these tomorrow as will a few friends. For future cooks I may try that. So you cook them fully, refrigerate and then warm and sauce on the grill?

Reactions: zwiller
I even kinda like to chew on pieces of it lol.
It's like a pork tater chip .
I sear n sauce a few days later.
Amen to that ! I smoke 'til done ( membrane on ) then do the " beer brat simmer " on the grill , but with BBQ sauce and onions . Simmer in the sauce , then over direct heat , and back in the sauce .

I use to be the same way until I saw the paper towel trick. Works perfect for me I’m surprised it gave you trouble. I have noticed stl ribs are a little harder to get compared to BB back not sure if it’s just me or not. But thanks now k east ribs 😂

Quick rage post lol. I would do ribs far more often if it weren't for the membranes. I worked at a few racks of back ribs forever and couldn't remove much of the membrane at all. I use the butter knife under the membrane and a paper towel to grip etc. I have had racks where it comes off like a glove and these where I just friggin gave up. I know Al does then membrane on and burns it off at the end on a screaming hot grill. Not sure I have time for all that. I may try to pull the membrane before saucing once they've cooked for a few hours. Truly drives me nuts and has me constantly skipping over ribs to skip the frustration. Vent over lol.
Couldn’t agree more. I’ve had some racks that I eventually give up. Als method I’m sure works but then I gotta store up another grill and usually the kids are causing havoc etc, I need to be able to just pull those suckers off the smoker let rest for a bit and eat. I’ve left it on but much prefer it removed personally, feel your pain 😂.

Reactions: jcam222
Funny you posted this! I came close to throwing my ribs across the kitchen today trying to get the membrane off. Hand holding the rack down slipped and had a death grip with the paper towel On the membrane. Only thing that saved them!

Jim

Funny you posted this! I came close to throwing my ribs across the kitchen today trying to get the membrane off. Hand holding the rack down slipped and had a death grip with the paper towel On the membrane. Only thing that saved them!

Jim
Lol I almost threw a rack too. I had 5 half racks and only got it off one of them. I've struggled before but never that bad.

Used to remove the membrane but now I just score it with a sharp knife and let it go. Can't tell any taste difference with membrane on or off.

Reactions: DonP and jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky