Winter Baby Backs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
The first in town snow happened today so I thought some nice baby backs would be nice to welcome in the cold white stuff…….

Started out with a local farm baby backs, these are smaller in size, have the membrane removed and have the loin meat trimmed, ie these are the good old days BBRs.
B56DDC15-89E1-4897-BE73-B98471E67F14.jpeg

This is my new fav way to do BBRs, the racks are portioned into 3-4 bone servings then coated with the yellow stuff and the coated with a modified Jeff’s Original Rub.
4B0B3F28-EC65-45F6-9005-57EB89CD0B87.jpeg

BBRs are one of the few things I cook at a lower temp, these are on the top shelf of the RT1250 @ 235……
CCF1611E-595C-42B7-A067-EFBF22F30BA4.jpeg

…..more to come as I am just watching the TBS roll!

So at the 2 hour mark I glazed them….the glaze: chicken broth, 2 Tbsp rub, Tbsp butter, sugar in the raw and a bit of starch slurry…
0091FED4-6904-4814-B617-8C2EB4909F37.jpeg

All glazed up for the last hour!
8B03B699-E3AF-4433-8C81-1F39B1BFE960.jpeg

Bingo INT 192 at the 3 hour mark!!!
FC7A1057-C2A6-4C35-840C-E380C8DC4D70.jpeg

So I put a second glaze coat and cover and rested in the house oven @ 145…..here they are after about 30 min rest….
5DE36F53-8E15-4B01-8BE3-3A22167C6FFE.jpeg

Oh man the slicing……
EA2DD665-6AEE-41B7-9626-C39FAB8A7279.jpeg

The plate….some pan sear corn and bacon Mac…..just yum!
BA6101DA-7B63-464E-9AE7-E232964E4C18.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice ribs.
Just started snowing here.
That's the sign to get the hell out of Dodge and retreat to Florida for the winter.
How do you modify Jeff's rub? I omit the sugar myself.
Thanks and yea wasn’t ready for the white stuff but it’s coming here fast!

I double the key spice ratio and add a couple of Tbsp of powdered butter and I also substitute 1/2 the sugar with sugar in the raw…

Gonna be some beauties. . .
Thanks winter! They did present nicely at the finish!
Dont envy you the white stuff at all. But I am jealous of those ribs.

Jim
Thanks Jim, the ribs turned out tasty!
I'm here for the finish...
You are front and center for the “win”
In for the finish. Looking good.
Thanks SE, crossed the checkered flag!
I'll take some ribs but you can keep the snow haha.
Oh yea tell me about it…..I’m NOT ready for it! The ribs did help though!

Thanks and yea wasn’t ready for the white stuff but it’s coming here fast!

I double the key spice ratio and add a couple of Tbsp of powdered butter and I also substitute 1/2 the sugar with sugar in the raw…
Have to look into the powdered butter.
Not a sugar fan fan no matter the type. I can tolerate a few of the keto sugars in moderation.

Great looking meal. Supposed to be low 40s here for Halloween!!!

Jim
Thanks Jim and winter is officially here! Our high today was 43…. Forecast has Sunday night low of 14….
Holy smokes! Those look fantastic. Nice work for sure. I like your process.
Many thanks SE! These ribs are 6.99/lb but they are worth every penny. They are very uniform and they come out near perfect at the 3 hr mark each time…. I have done this same method with Costco ribs, but I trim the loin off and they go 3.5 hours to 3.75 and done. Comp texture on both!
Have to look into the powdered butter.
Not a sugar fan fan no matter the type. I can tolerate a few of the keto sugars in moderation.
You can find it in the bulk section. It’s just dehydrated butter/milk fat. It adds a nice tone when used in moderation. Got ya on sugar it can easily be taken out and a little bit of 5 spice to have a similar tone!

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
That is a terrific looking plate.
Thanks 90! It sure helped fight off the winter shock!
That's perfection right there!!
Much appreciated GS!
Looks awesome. Need to try this method vs wrapping. Thanks for the post!
Thanks BE1, It’s simple but very effective, just make sure you trim the loin meat so each is a uniform thickness. The resting covered for the 30 mins is needed to finished them right

So at the 2 hour mark I glazed them….the glaze: chicken broth, 2 Tbsp rub, Tbsp butter, sugar in the raw and a bit of starch slurry…
View attachment 679454
All glazed up for the last hour!
View attachment 679455
Bingo INT 192 at the 3 hour mark!!!
View attachment 679456
So I put a second glaze coat and cover and rested in the house oven @ 145…..here they are after about 30 min rest….
View attachment 679457
Oh man the slicing……
View attachment 679458
The plate….some pan sear corn and bacon Mac…..just yum!
View attachment 679460
yesiree!! that was worth the effort i imagine. looks bueno.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky