Renyolds Handi-Vac

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seaham358

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 18, 2007
Hyde Park, NY
Picked on up on Sat and when I got home and tried it the batteries were DEAD
icon_evil.gif

Today I got 6 new AA batts and gave it a try... This things works great!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I see this working well on small quick uses, cheese, lunch meat etc.
For $10 it will earn its keep in no time if its helps keep food around longer.
On big jobs i will still use the Sealvac unit.

What did you seal with it? I was thinking it might be good for camping and that sort of thing. Are the bags re-sealable? That might make it more cost effective for routine stuff than vacuum sealers.

I sealed up some of my Snack sticks and it sucked the bag tight around them like the larger Seal Vac units do.
There zip lick bags so you can reuse them. I plan on washing them out to get a few uses out of them.

I don't plan on reusing the nasty bags, just ones like Deb states...
Cookies, my snack sticks, cheese, dry items
I reuse the Food saver bags all the time on certain items with no issues.

Reynolds is not gonna say its ok reuse them... This will cut their profits.

My wife showed me an add for this thing a few weeks ago. I was a little un-certain about it's quality, but it sounds like it may be worth a shot.

I was one at Wally World the other day but they didn't have bags. I didn't want to commit without knowing the whole price!

I got one of these the other day and I really like it.Ive been cubing up deer meat to can and can keep them sealed in the fridge until I get enough for a good canning.I can see lots of uses for this gadget and its so cheap,even the bags aren't to pricey.I had to come in out of the shed to rescue it,the wife had already captured it for a project.I may have to insist she buys her own.

Ok, I have had this thing for 3 weeks now. I have used it for meat, fish, rub, and brown sugar. The bags are holding their seal for about 2 weeks, then all of a sudden, I go back and check them and there is air in the bag.
I thought well maybe they were disturbed but now, a could were laying on the top shelf of the freezer and were not touched for 2 weeks. So I plan on buying a real Food Saver type machine and ditching this thing.
No big deal though, Only spent $18 on the VAC machine and the bags.

Hmmm maybe they're only designed for short term saves like chips and cookies and frsh foods you use fast. Still think i'd be good to take camping though. Keep matches dry and fish from stinking up your hotdogs and stuff like that.

Thanks for the progress report Mk!

Ok, so I had a thought that maybe the sample bags I got with the pump were bad. I have repacked everything in bags from the boxes of bags I bought. One was a quart size bag with some fresh sechwan (sp) peppercorns I got from an Asian grocery store that I had just toasted. That package would not last even 24 hours. So far it has held using a new bag.
We'll see how the others hold.

A little birdie has suggested that I am getting a food saver for Christmas. I plan to use it for big stuff such as making a pot of chili and freezing individual servings and such, but I saw one the handivak units and may pick one up for simple little jobs.

Thanks for the first hand review.

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now, and items I put in the freezer with it, are still holding tight, I used 2 of the gl size bags to freeze a family pack of ground beef I cut in half, everything went well with that too, and besides I only have about $18 invested in the whole thing as of now, and I did reuse the bag, I have been putting my dinner plate in one and taking it to work every day, so far so good!

My wife just brought one of these vaccy thingamajigs home the other night. I havent had any time to use it, much less smoke anything lately, but I'm glad to hear yall like it. Im looking forward to playing with it.

I have one that I use for freezing leftovers with and as long as you do not get anything in the zipper it seal and stays sealed fine.I have had it @ a month and a half so far and all is well.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
I have a test bag i dated to see if it will make 6 months, If it does I'll be happy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky