Ref; Low Sugar Asian inspired BBQ sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
Talk about a long title...this recipe is still a WIP but I'd post what I have so far.

I started with a 12 ounce can of tomato paste, no ketchup. Just the paste!

1/2 cup Chili-garlic seaseme oil. <This is the stuff that basically tastes of just garlic and chili>
1/4 cup+table spoon of soy sauce
1/8th cup sugar.
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoon ginger powder.

A few things I'd like to try or change is using some actual seaseme oil into this mix, like 1/4 cup of the chili-garlic oil and 1/4 cup just plain ole seaseme oil. I'd also like to replace the sugar with Mirin. <I believe that is the correct term for the sweet rice wine used in Asian cooking>.

It does have a nice bite to it on the finish though, and the ginger is there. I just need to refine it to my tastes and expectations, but it is a edible sauce. I should note though; it's more acidic then any commercial sauce I've had, as it lacks sugar, and if you go wild on it, you end up with alot of calories from that oil!

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky