Raw Turkey Skin Color Change after Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigdeps

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
Hey guys,

I just brined a turkey yesterday and when I pulled it out today the skin color has changed to a this yellowish tone. It doesn’t smell or have slime on the skin either.

I have it drying to crisp the skin up when I smoke it.

The only difference this year from years past is I added 1.5c of ACV per the recipe I used.

It gets smoked tomorrow morning. What are your thoughts on the safety?

IMG_8943.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
May have picked up a little color from the ACV, Did you use white vinegar last year? Or none at all.

Jim

May have picked up a little color from the ACV, Did you use white vinegar last year? Or none at all.

Jim
Hello!

Yeah I’ve never used any vinegar at all before. Mr Google gave me the idea but didnt expect the color change!

Howdy, and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.

What kind of spices/seasoning did you have in the brine? Turmeric, maybe...

Howdy, and welcome to the forum from New Mexico.

What kind of spices/seasoning did you have in the brine?
Hello!

No turmeric only the usual suspects… salt, sugar, rosemary, oregano, sage, pink and telicherry peppercorns. Plus obviously water and then the acv. Just want to make sure it’s not some food illness waiting to be smoke lol

Last edited:
Assuming you kept the brine at a fridge temp I would not be concerned. I think the vinegar pulled some color from the herbs. It appears the top of breast was not submerged because it did not pick up the color change. I'd say it is pickled colored because of vinegar, not a food born nasty.

Im thinking your good to go.....Looking at your pic....right up top like between the breast its lighter...Like maybe wasnt totally submerged in the brine mixture.

Jim

Im thinking your good to go.....Looking at your pic....right up top like between the breast its lighter...Like maybe wasnt totally submerged in the brine mixture.

Jim
Yeah that area is actually where in set in the bottom of the bag. Makes sense the acv wouldnt “stain” that skin since it wasn’t making direct contact.

I’ll let everyone knows how it goes for future reference. My backup is circle bbq lol

Thanks for the advice!
Greg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky