Rain protection

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ron50

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2007
FL
Well it's raining again and I just have to light up the smoker today! I'm sure you all know how that is :)

I have a bird brining and a fatty ready to be rolled plus I'm going to visit the market and see what else looks good.

I built a wind screen out of some plywood and hinges that will keep the wind at bay but I didn't have the chance to build a top for it for my vertical gasser.

I'm looking for a temporary roof for this contraption, just something I can use today until I have the time to build something that will last.

I

Any suggestions appreciated.

No help here..........when it rains, I find that me and the equipment just ends up getting wet.
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

Seems kind of ignorant when I type it out.....might have to do something about this.

Try a pie pan inverted over a frame made out of a Coat Hanger.
Sorry I don't have picture of it but I have used this in th past.
You just need to keep the pie pan propped up over the vent, and make sure your attach the pan to the hanger.....................I found mine in the Neighborer's yard the first time.
Ron

Thanks for the idea Ron. My backyard is like a wind tunnel and with 20 mph winds forecast, the pie pan will probably make it to your backyard lol.

I was just thinking of a cardboard box, cut it out in a triangle shape and cut a hole through it and use a can for the smokestack. I figure the rain will keep the cardboard from getting too hot and the can will kinda hold it in place.

Even though the motivation to do a smoke might be high, maybe other interesting culinary events will suffice. For example, steaks done with some smoke on the grill, spatchcock yardbird indirectly smoked on the grill, chili with non-smoked meat, chili with smoked meat, or going to a 'que joint. Dutch's beans can be done in the oven. I WILL NOT go down the path on liquid smoke. There's more than one way to scratch an itch.

Steve:

I appreciate the advice but the itch is more in the way of cooking then eating. I think I'll be able to rig something up as the rain is very light and sporadic and maybe it will clear earlier then expected.

Looks like we got ourselves a bit of verbal repartee about to erupt! Keep it good natured and entertaining and I am awaiting round two!

Go For It!

Cheers!

Just read your post on the rain and I'll get off this laptop and post some pics of how I protect mine from the rain. I smoke in the rain, snow and very cold weather. There is no reason weather related not to smoke. I use a flat piece of metal for my "roof" or a piece of pressed hardboard. I would use a piece of cardboard if I had to. I'll post pics in a bit and hope they help.

Thanks Monty.

I'll see if i can find one when I run out to the market. I'll report back with some pics later.

Thanks all for the suggestion.

I didn't realize I have only two pics but it gives you an idea. Again the roof is just a large piece of thin metal OR a piece of hardboard cut to size. Notice the snow on the ground, I think it was 10 degrees that day and a good wind (15 to 20mph). Hope this helps a little.
e6c446f9_vbattach15412.jpg

f6ca9c47_vbattach15413.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky