Concrete Protection from Grease and Rust

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Its_Raw

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 25, 2023
This spring I am having a concrete pad poured for the smoker, seating, etc. What have you used to keep staining down from grease and rust (from the wheels and feet).

Thank you!

Reactions: JLeonard
Sherwin carries a decent 2 part acrylic epoxy for homeowners.

They have several products in their industrial line that are virtually bullet proof,several are sold under their Armorseal line. A contractor friend could get that for you or any product at contractors rate.

Reactions: chopsaw
I love the idea of sealing the whole pad. Mats would help directly below, but no doubt I would spill or drop something after taking it off the smoker.

This spring I am having a concrete pad poured for the smoker, seating, etc. What have you used to keep staining down from grease and rust (from the wheels and feet).

Thank you!
The roof over my patio🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Sealant sounds like a good plan, so long as it can handle UV and sun. Probably depends on where you live. Winters here get below zero, summers to the 90s but the UV is real strong and wreaks havoc on most stuff outside.

Your contractor should apply a sealant after being poured, if not, get some WR Meadows 309 for freshly poured concrete, and a good sprayer, or you can roll it on also. No paint or epoxy for outdoor usage, it will be slippery when wet. Then if you want, you can seal it after it cures, or next year and the years to come, with WR Meadows TIAH. These are the only products I used when I was pouring concrete. And, like was mentioned put a rubber mat under your grill/smoker also.

Reactions: 801driver
I'd consider springing for acid-stained or a stamped concrete approach if I was going to seal it. A simple broom finish with sealant just looks shiny and unappealing IMO.

Also you didn't mention what type of cooker you have, but I always make a lot more of a mess on a vertical with pull-out shelves/grates than a grill style with hinge-up lid.

Yes, it will be a stamped and colored concrete pad. I think I will grab a mat for extra protection for sure.

Reactions: bill1
Depends on what you want for a visual, the above are good ideas. I have an aircraft hangar I applied the below product to and yes every tire track that was on the floor from the steel erection petibone before applying is still there, (I should have pressure washed) but no new ones that wont wash off. It makes a very hard surface that is quite scuff resistant. A little oil drip that has sat for a couple weeks easily wipes virtually clean with a little aviation fuel on a paper towel. I am not sure how it might work on stained or textured concrete, you would have to do some research. I wore rubber boots applying it then tracked out to the ramp and those boot tracks are still there after 10 years where it is still protected. Do have to be careful. It is not a coating, but some type of chemical reaction with the concrete surface that makes the concrete non porous. Guess that is where they got the name "Diamond Hard". Wish I had this on my deck before it looks like it does now. Ha

Especially if you're stained and/or stamped, the sealers tend to add a gloss (Euclid calls it sheen) to the finish that I find attractive. (But not so much on bare untreated concrete.) There may be sealers that try to reduce the gloss, but I think the sheen is a good indicator that it hasn't worn off yet. And like 801Driver says, if it's shiny and there, these sealers don't tend to stain and wipe up pretty readily. Especially if I stained with a darker color, I wouldn't hesitate to put most grills or smokers directly on them. It's really just the vertical smokers, where you have to pull out a shelf to sauce your meat, that needs a drip mat for sure.

I bought a stall (horse) mat from Tractor Supply and it is chemical proof. The dang thing is indescructable. If you drive a German car, or have a leaky grill, you can't go wrong. Trust me!

• Haha
Reactions: bill1
If you have wheels (casters) on your cooker you might be able to find silicone casters as a replacement. Or plastic dip for feet. If that's where the problem is. But other than that I would seal

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky