Pulled pork for my daughters bball tourny

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jacobtia

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Central Illinois
So, my daughter asked me to smoke some pork butt's for some pp sammies to take to the hospitality room at the Jr. High basketball tourney taking place at her school. It is her first year cheering so my wife and I are excited to see her cheer and I got really excited that I was asked to do a little smoking!

I picked up this 10lb butt at schnucks. I think I over paid a bit but I was kinda in a rush saturday night as my wife and I were on our way to a sports booster banquet.

26522e0e_pulledpork001.jpg

af7963ce_pulledpork002.jpg

The store I usually buy my meat from doesn't sell the big butts like this one. I usually end up buying 2 5lbers so this one had me a little intimidated. I ended up cutting this one in half to keep me in my comfort zone. Here they are rubbed up and ready for their nights rest.

55b154c9_pulledpork004.jpg

427c7d2c_pulledpork005.jpg

Got the smoker fired up at 10am sunday morning with some hickory charcoal. It was cruisin along at 235 by 10:45. On go the butts.

1c58e526_pulledpork006.jpg

The day went flawless! Temps stayed steady. Added some apple chips occasionally. I didn't get any pics of them throughout the smoke. Not because I didn't want to but because I stayed strong and kept the lid closed!!!! I did probe at 4hrs temps were at 147. Lid went down and stayed down till the end. Also, I did not foil these and the bark turned out awesome as you will see.

28fc2c29_pulledpork009.jpg

3d2517a7_pulledpork007.jpg

They hit 205 at 10pm got a wrap in foil and put in a cooler for a rest. 

Fresh off the smoker and ready for their wrap and rest.

59b28823_pulledpork010.jpg

0502f9aa_pulledpork011.jpg

a4a606c4_pulledpork008.jpg

After the rest and all pulled.

eeb6968f_pulledpork012.jpg

1e480d9f_pulledpork016.jpg

e1061e38_pulledpork014.jpg

Oh my! This PP was awesome! I hope the coaches and refs enjoy it tonight! I also made a batch of my BBQ sauce and some of soflaques finishing sauce! Am hoping for good reviews!

Thanks for looking!

Reactions: raptor700
Can't imagine any complaints about that PP!!!...JJ

icon_cool.gif

Now thoses butts look like something that you could be proud of. I'm sure your daughters team was happy with the food. Now do it again next week. Your up to bat now.

Holy Cow, Jake!

That's some of the best looking PP I've ever seen.

I have a feeling your going to be doing this a few more times!

Hey.....as long as it gives me a reason to fire up the smoker I'll be ok with that! Thanks for stopping by guys and for all the compliments!

Alright I just got it set up at the school. I will let you guys know what kind of feed back I get. Tourney starts at 6:15.

They must have liked it cause there was only a very small amount left. Just enough for me to have a sammie for lunch tomorrow. Got lots of good reviews on the PP and the sauce! I saw one of the ref's with 3 sammies on his plate! I hope I am asked to do it again!

Last edited:
Well done Jake! How'd you pull it? You should check out the Meatrakes.  They work really good for pork.

Wow.... it looks so dang yummy!  (Oh Lord, I just said yummy on the www - must be because my four year old little man and I have been hanging out all day)  

So, In addition to a traditonal turkey this week, my father in-law has requested that I smoke a Pork Butt for the family dinner... His request is what made me come back to the forums and snoop around...   Anyway, if mine taste half as good as your looks, I will be happy!  Good work! 

Happy upcoming Turkey Day Ya'll.  ..

Mr. Detroiter.... 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky