Product Review; ProQ Cold Smoke Generator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gravey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 5, 2009
Northeast Nebraska
So, I finally received my ProQ Cold Smoke Generator from Great Britain. Just in time to go on a road trip to Wyoming.

Great little doodad, about 6" by 6". Paid a total of $30.00 USD (around 24 British Pounds), or whereabouts, depending on where you order.

Packaged in a nice little box, with a 100 gram bag of Oak dust, and a tealight.

Directions for use:

Pour in 100g of dust, and level out to ensure even burning. Take a 3" wood screw and screw it into the provided tea light candle (for easier removal of said candle). Light the candle and place it under the dust in its provided spot (as there's only 1 place to put the candle). After 30 second, up to a minute, remove the tea light and blow it out. Ta-daaaa! It's that easy!

Pouring and leveling..

Putting the tea candle in the apparatus...

Marveling at the simplicity of the TBS..

My first use was for smoking some cored/halved jalapenos for a couple of hours. I didn't notice much difference in the taste, but like I said, they were smoked for a short period of time.

My next mission was to see how well it did hot smoking (why I would use a cold smoker to hot smoke, no one knows...but I just had a gas grill to smoke some fatties, and no other wood pieces.)

I wish, though, that I could vouch for the supposed burn length...but I can't. You see, being as excited as I was to play with my new toy while smoking my first fatties
icon_redface.gif
, I skipped portion of the directions that directs the user to remove the tea light. So for now that leaves my product review with inconclusive results, although even though I burned all of the dust, I had a GREAT smoke ring on the fatties..Oops..

Thank you for doing this cause I'm looking for a cold smoke generator my self for my bacons and suasge too. Where did you fine this model at. I see it's from england. It look like something like I looking for.

I just got some more dust for mine..I'm waiting to try it out on some boneless game hens that are sittin' in the cold box curing.

I love mine for doing cheese, now playing around a bit using mixed roasted nuts. I think it's going to work great.

Does anyone have a link where I can buy more dust for it? Saw one here once, now I can't find it.

thanks!

My first attempt at smoking cheese failed for a couple of reasons, I placed some store bought cheddar and swiss on the grate over the smoke source. It was also a warmer spring day and the store bought cheese started to melt. However, the gouda, cheddar and cabre vino my wife made held up fine.

My second attempt it was a cooler day, not cheese over the smoke source and better store bought cheese (Trader Joes). This turned out wonderful. I hope to do more in the futrue and add some Q-View to boot.

I like this little unit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky