Prime doneness issue solved (maybe)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
Christmas gathering was reduced to a much smaller group of 8 (had well over 20 last year.) I wound up with 2 rib roast this year. Both were purchased at local grocery on sale @ $6.99/lbs and I was just hoping they'd both be tender and good flavor. So as I'm trimming & prepping them yesterday I realized the size difference and it dawned on me this might be the cat's meow. I've got a couple who don't like rare and I always have the grill grates hot and ready for any quick sears to please my guest so I was thinking small one to 135 deg & the larger one just shy of 130.

tempImage54T4bE.png

I didn't get any photos of the slices because I'm that idiot - man I was busy serving guest! I've got to get better but it actually turned out perfect. I took the small one to 135 and pulled it about 30 minutes before I pulled the larger one. I pulled the larger one at 128. These were smoked @ 250 with Hickory & Cherry. I turned it up to 275 on the larger one for the final 30 minutes after I pulled the smaller one (to try and set the bark/crust.)

tempImagePUFRgj.png

Both roast got a coat of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire, layer of Killer Hog's AP rub and then a layer of Killer hogs TX brisket rub. It was a perfect blend of SPOG with the course brisket rub really helping to set that beautiful crust. As in the past, I run real close to the steps & process of the Prime king Bearcarver Bearcarver . The Au jus was really nice as you would expect.

Didn't have to sear a single piece. Was able to satisfy my medium crowd without the grill & still produce many thick med/rare slices.
I got leftovers in the oven now :emoji_wink:

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge Bear. It was another great rib roast!

I know its hard to please a crowd when everyone has a different preference on how the meat is cooked.....looks like it all worked out perfect! Looks delicious!

Looks beautiful! Congrats on a job well done and making everyone happy!

Ryan

That's a beautiful chunk of meat right there. Excellent job and great work making everybody happy.

Robert

Fantastic Job, Randy!!!
You must have been the Hero @ that Shindig!!!
Next time---Pics of Slices, Please.
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky