What to do with leftover rib roast. CHEESE STEAKS!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Youll never catch me running. No you didnt read that right. Youll never catch me running because that part of my life is in the past lol! However, if you do see me running, you better take off too, because there is something that I dont stand a chance against right behind me!

That being said, I would gladly grab a few or all those and hop on a rascal or 4 wheeler or moped and ride into the sunset.........

I decided to make cheesesteaks from my roast, and boy, was I disappointed in the advice I found on Youtube.

I should have known I was in for a wild goose chase when I saw that the guy doing the cooking ran a restaurant. Obviously, he's not going to tell the whole truth.

He said he cooks his cheesesteaks slowly to hold the juice in. I didn't get that at all. The longer something sits on a flattop, the dryer it gets, and if the heat is low, there is no browning, so no flavor. He and his customers also raved about Cheez Whiz, which I hadn't had in decades. I had forgotten how gross it was.

I made a sandwich using fairly high heat, and I fried some onions first in beef fat. I threw in some peppers. Then I made the mistake of applying Cheez Whiz. The sandwich was nasty. Cheese Whiz is like grainy Velveeta aged in an old boxing glove everyone at the gym uses and then leaves out in the rain. It smelled like dirty laundry, and not the kind of dirty laundry clean people have.

Velveeta would have been a thousand times better.

The next day I made a sandwich with American cheese, and it was really excellent.

A college buddy of mine lived in Delaware, and when I visited his family, we would have cheesesteaks from DiCostanza's or some other PA shop. He was a Far Eastern major, so he liked to run around Chinatown. We went to school in New York. He found a great steak sauce called Wan-Ja-Shan, and it was wonderful on cheesesteaks. Add a little hot sauce, and you have something great. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it since. I found the company, but the sauce is gone.

I improvised. I mixed ketchup, hoisin sauce, and hot sauce. May sound nasty, but it was marvelous. I don't miss Wan-Ja-Shan any more.

I used about 4 parts ketchup, 1 part Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, and a few generous squirts of hoisin. The Huy Fong sauce disappeared for a long time, but it pops up locally sometimes, so I always snag a couple of jars.

My tip for the best cheesesteak possible: make it a calzone. I have done this, and it's on a completely different level. Also works for pan con lechon. Infinitely better than mushy fake French bread.

I decided to make cheesesteaks from my roast, and boy, was I disappointed in the advice I found on Youtube.

I should have known I was in for a wild goose chase when I saw that the guy doing the cooking ran a restaurant. Obviously, he's not going to tell the whole truth.

He said he cooks his cheesesteaks slowly to hold the juice in. I didn't get that at all. The longer something sits on a flattop, the dryer it gets, and if the heat is low, there is no browning, so no flavor. He and his customers also raved about Cheez Whiz, which I hadn't had in decades. I had forgotten how gross it was.

I made a sandwich using fairly high heat, and I fried some onions first in beef fat. I threw in some peppers. Then I made the mistake of applying Cheez Whiz. The sandwich was nasty. Cheese Whiz is like grainy Velveeta aged in an old boxing glove everyone at the gym uses and then leaves out in the rain. It smelled like dirty laundry, and not the kind of dirty laundry clean people have.

Velveeta would have been a thousand times better.

The next day I made a sandwich with American cheese, and it was really excellent.

A college buddy of mine lived in Delaware, and when I visited his family, we would have cheesesteaks from DiCostanza's or some other PA shop. He was a Far Eastern major, so he liked to run around Chinatown. We went to school in New York. He found a great steak sauce called Wan-Ja-Shan, and it was wonderful on cheesesteaks. Add a little hot sauce, and you have something great. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find it since. I found the company, but the sauce is gone.

I improvised. I mixed ketchup, hoisin sauce, and hot sauce. May sound nasty, but it was marvelous. I don't miss Wan-Ja-Shan any more.

I used about 4 parts ketchup, 1 part Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, and a few generous squirts of hoisin. The Huy Fong sauce disappeared for a long time, but it pops up locally sometimes, so I always snag a couple of jars.

My tip for the best cheesesteak possible: make it a calzone. I have done this, and it's on a completely different level. Also works for pan con lechon. Infinitely better than mushy fake French bread.
yeah, don't get the cheese wiz either. I usually use American or provolone on them. I also usually add some Yoshida's marinade to the shaved steak.

Cheese Wiz replaces mayonnaise on the bun as a spread not as the cheese in the melt.
We still use mayo, Dukes is the best. (Yeah there are Duke's haters out there as the Wiz.)
Need provolone for the tang of real cheese.

Reactions: forktender
Cheese Wiz replaces mayonnaise on the bun as a spread not as the cheese in the melt.
We still use mayo, Dukes is the best. (Yeah there are Duke's haters out there as the Wiz.)
Need provolone for the tang of real cheese.
I finally found dukes a couple months ago...could not get past the "twang" and tossed it....I am also not a
mayonnaise fan of any kind at all. So rarely use it...maybe for egg salad.

Reactions: Fueling Around
The heck with running with one. I'm obnoxious enough to sit down at a table with folks I don't know and dive right in. Those look great Dan!!!

Point for sure
Chris

• Haha
Reactions: Buckeyedude
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky