Pleasantly surprised (rib roast cook)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RrmyGuy

Original poster
May 14, 2022
Well, to make a long story short, I feel asleep and cooked a 6.67lb standing rib roast at 500 degrees for 1 hour and 47 minutes.... aaaaand it came out perfect. It finished at 143 degrees, but that's actually perfect as my inlaws and kids don't care for rare meat, and I'm perfectly happy eating it medium. It's got a great crust on the outside, a bit too crusty in a few small places where the fat was a bit thick, tasty, and tender. Who would have thought that I woke up at precisely the right time.

You must have been a good boy this past year. Nice job

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: RrmyGuy
Good deal... Tell me a little more about the set up... Gonna do mine this way too,,,, I think
I dry brined it last night with salt, pepper and garlic. Put it in the fridge over night, uncovered. I let half a stick of butter warm to room temperature, mixed it with a tbsp of oil, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper, then thinly spread it over the sides and top. Preheated the oven to 500, put it in a roasting pan with a grate under it. I was supposed to cook it for 1hr15min then reduce the heat to 325 and cook it to an internal temp of 140, I use a meater, but I feel asleep. I wouldn't advise continuing to cook it at 500... if you like it rare, cook to 125-130. I use a grate under it so I can stain the juices and make a jus or a gravy.

I would have preferred to smoke it, but not everyone attending likes smoked meat, I know...., so traditional was the way to go.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky