Portion control for BBB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Just remove the bone on my 9.5 lb pork butt so I can get some buckboard bacon going here..

Question is , should I do 3 of the pieces like so? They should be a good size to cut up and give some slices away when I take one out of the freezer.
IMG_20171105_105500.jpg

One member has made BBB his go to... He removes the blade and continues the slice along the blade line....
That gives him 2 pieces about 2 1/2" thick... One is real fatty like bacon... the other is lean... The fatty portion smokes up very close to bacon... The lean, he slices for CSR's....
Here's the bacon portion....

Chef Rob's BBB....

Fat Cap side.... Slice from left to right... across the fat veins... Fat cap removed...
BBB 2011.jpg ... BBB ala chefrob.jpg

Reactions: Rings Я Us
One member has made BBB his go to... He removes the blade and continues the slice along the blade line....
That gives him 2 pieces about 2 1/2" thick... One is real fatty like bacon... the other is lean... The fatty portion smokes up very close to bacon... The lean, he slices for CSR's....
Here's the bacon portion....

Chef Rob's BBB....

Fat Cap side.... Slice from left to right... across the fat veins... Fat cap removed...
View attachment 343322 ...View attachment 343323

That does look just like bacon ... lol neat!

That's exactly what I do take the bone out & split it in half lengthwise.
I usually use the fatty half for bacon & the other half for sausage, or if you like really lean bacon use the lean side.
Al

Reactions: Rings Я Us
Hmm.. sounds cool.. I will try that next time. making it half as thick.

Here we go Bear. I'm going to try the water temp trick. I had the door open a bit and just stuck this in when I took the pic.

IMG_20171107_200550.jpg

Fridge water test glass temp 35°-36°steady.
Fridge air temp is 32° or so.. lol .. I'm going to go for 37° water and 34° air.
15101117789741216588809.jpg

Fridge water test glass temp 35°-36°steady.
Fridge air temp is 32° or so.. lol .. I'm going to go for 37° water and 34° air.
View attachment 343616

Depending on the age & quality of the fridge, it can vary, however like I said in my Fridge set-up thread, with my cheap Home Depot Fridge, when I hold it at exactly 37° water temp, my fridge cycles between 31° & 43° air Temp. That's why it really doesn't do any good to just take the Temp of the air in a fridge. Every time you stick a Therm in, You'll get a different reading.

Bear

Depending on the age & quality of the fridge, it can vary, however like I said in my Fridge set-up thread, with my cheap Home Depot Fridge, when I hold it at exactly 37° water temp, my fridge cycles between 31° & 43° air Temp. That's why it really doesn't do any good to just take the Temp of the air in a fridge. Every time you stick a Therm in, You'll get a different reading.

Bear

Yep.. got it so instant read is flicking between 37.4 and 37.5 in water and air temp goes as low as 33 . Both of the thermometers on my living room table show exactly the same room temp. Should be good to go.

Yep.. got it so instant read is flicking between 37.4 and 37.5 in water and air temp goes as low as 33 . Both of the thermometers on my living room table show exactly the same room temp. Should be good to go.

OK---Sounds good!!
If your bottom air temp is 33°, what does it peak out at? about 41°?
It should take awhile to stabilize & get the same readings all around.

Bear

OK---Sounds good!!
If your bottom air temp is 33°, what does it peak out at? about 41°?
It should take awhile to stabilize & get the same readings all around.

Bear
I think the temps less stable on top shelf but I never saw it above 40 ...luckily it's a newer model fridge. Halfway efficient

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky