Portion control for BBB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think the temps less stable on top shelf but I never saw it above 40 ...luckily it's a newer model fridge. Halfway efficient

Not actually what I meant by "Stabilize".
I meant once it's stabilized, if the air temp cycles from 33° to 40° to get 37° in the water, it will always cycle from 33° to 40° to get 37°. If it then drops to 32° and 39° the result will be 36° in the water.
If you have to make an adjustment, make it very small. It takes time to settle down.

Bear

Not actually what I meant by "Stabilize".
I meant once it's stabilized, if the air temp cycles from 33° to 40° to get 37° in the water, it will always cycle from 33° to 40° to get 37°. If it then drops to 32° and 39° the result will be 36° in the water.
If you have to make an adjustment, make it very small. It takes time to settle down.

Bear

Oh, yeah.. did that last night .. Checked it this morning.. I took the water temp down 1.5 total.. Will check again today. The batteries didn't do good after 4 hours lol.. stuck it in this morning and got 37.4

Huh???
I leave my Old ET-73 going 24-7-365, and I have to change batteries twice a year.
I never shut it off.

Bear

Huh???
I leave my Old ET-73 going 24-7-365, and I have to change batteries twice a year.
I never shut it off.

Bear

Hmm.. this unit stopped after a few hours inside the fridge.. Not sure if the display was affected or the batteries.
That could be a problem doing cold smoking or any smoking this winter.

Hmm.. this unit stopped after a few hours inside the fridge.. Not sure if the display was affected or the batteries.
That could be a problem doing cold smoking or any smoking this winter.

Temp doesn't bother the Mavericks.
I put this cheap ET-73 down there, when it had trouble seeing through my steel front door (replaced it with an ET-732).
One of the reasons I keep it on 24-7-365 is because the on-off switch froze up 7 years ago, so the only way I can shut it off is by removing the batteries. What the Heck, it was super cheap & is now 9 years old, working every day & night.

Note: The only thing that actually goes IN the Fridge is the Sensor "Probe" & half of the cable.

Bear

Temp doesn't bother the Mavericks.
I put this cheap ET-73 down there, when it had trouble seeing through my steel front door (replaced it with an ET-732).
One of the reasons I keep it on 24-7-365 is because the on-off switch froze up 7 years ago, so the only way I can shut it off is by removing the batteries. What the Heck, it was super cheap & is now 9 years old, working every day & night.

Note: The only thing that actually goes IN the Fridge is the Sensor "Probe" & half of the cable.

Bear
I guess some of the displays don't do good in the cold. I could just leave it out on the counter. lol We have temps in the 20s coming soon so I might have to bring the transmitter in to warm up on occasion.

This stuff I may need to cure close to 2 weeks because of its thickness.. that means I should plan on an extra couple days on top of that, plus a couple days to sit on a rack in the fridge... drying.. If I cold smoke this stuff in the ECB over 2 days 8 x 2 .... I could then rest it wrapped in the fridge for another 2 days to mellow?

If you are planning on cutting it thinner for the final slices of BBB.... Why not cut it thinner now... that will help with the curing time and it will help insure a fully cured hunk of meat....

This stuff I may need to cure close to 2 weeks because of its thickness.. that means I should plan on an extra couple days on top of that, plus a couple days to sit on a rack in the fridge... drying.. If I cold smoke this stuff in the ECB over 2 days 8 x 2 .... I could then rest it wrapped in the fridge for another 2 days to mellow?

That's why we cut them in half the other way:
If you have a 4" X 8" X 10" Butt, you cut it into Two pieces that are about 2" X 8" X 10".

Not Two pieces that are 4" X 4" X 10" or 4" X 5" X 8"

Bear

That's why we cut them in half the other way:
If you have a 4" X 8" X 10" Butt, you cut it into Two pieces that are about 2" X 8" X 10".

Not Two pieces that are 4" X 4" X 10" or 4" X 5" X 8"

Bear

I didn't see about butterflied until after. These are about 3" thick x 4" wide . I don't mind waiting for it to cure. Just thought I better measure and adjust my schedule. lol..
I done cut it into 3 pieces. Fat cap is off also.

Just thinking the 18th is rushing

I didn't see about butterflied until after. These are about 3" thick x 4" wide . I don't mind waiting for it to cure. Just thought I better measure and adjust my schedule. lol..
I done cut it into 3 pieces. Fat cap is off also.

Just thinking the 18th is rushing

Waiting isn't the problem.
If the pieces were any bigger than 3" thick, you should be injecting them.
Something you don't have to do if cut the other way.
Just so you know for next time.

Bear

Johnny,
Why do you continue to post that comedy act of directions from Hi Mountain?
Find me one other place on the internet or any other place that tells people to cure Bacon, BBB, or CB at 40° to 45°.

Everybody else can't be wrong!!
And the ideal curing thickness is NOT 3" to 3 1/2", unless you inject it.
Hopefully nobody will see that on here & take it seriously.

Bear

Johnny,
Why do you continue to post that comedy act of directions from Hi Mountain?
Find me one other place on the internet or any other place that tells people to cure Bacon, BBB, or CB at 40° to 45°.

Everybody else can't be wrong!!
And the ideal curing thickness is NOT 3" to 3 1/2", unless you inject it.
Hopefully nobody will see that on here & take it seriously.

Bear
I hope nobody has their refrigerator over 40 for any reason LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky