Portion control for BBB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm done here.
If you want to post methods using Salt Peter, and curing at Temps over 40°, do it with someone else.
Anything I tell you is just ignored.

I'm asking about this Oklahoma State university report on proper curing and thickness references and cure time.. Something about 5 inches thick etc..
Anyone have an elaboration?

IMG_20171108_180507.png

You'll have to ask Dave about that---He's the whole Ham cure guy.

First of all they're using Sodium Nitrate (Salt Peter).
That's not generally used on this forum, as far as I know.
I don't even think it's easy to buy unless you're in the business of meat processing.

All I know is I don't cure anything over 3" thick without injecting, and many guys on here won't even cure things over 2" thick without injecting.

Bear

Ok.. thanks. Pays to ask..

I just measured all my stuff.. 2 inches exactly.. looked bigger before . 2 x4.5 x 8..
Should be good for 2 weeks..

Thanks
You'll have to ask Dave about that---He's the whole Ham cure guy.

First of all they're using Sodium Nitrate (Salt Peter).
That's not generally used on this forum, as far as I know.
I don't even think it's easy to buy unless you're in the business of meat processing.

All I know is I don't cure anything over 3" thick without injecting, and many guys on here won't even cure things over 2" thick without injecting.

Bear

Sent an Email to the kit people and told them to fix the little temp mistake on that pamphlet. Will see if they send me one back.. lol

One member has made BBB his go to... He removes the blade and continues the slice along the blade line....
That gives him 2 pieces about 2 1/2" thick... One is real fatty like bacon... the other is lean... The fatty portion smokes up very close to bacon... The lean, he slices for CSR's....
Here's the bacon portion....

Chef Rob's BBB....

Fat Cap side.... Slice from left to right... across the fat veins... Fat cap removed...
View attachment 343322 ...View attachment 343323
Looks great. The last time I did some BBB I had the meat cutters slice the butts in two length wise so that it gave me 2 nice slabs and the bone was much easier to cut out since half was in one side and half in the other.

Looks great. The last time I did some BBB I had the meat cutters slice the butts in two length wise so that it gave me 2 nice slabs and the bone was much easier to cut out since half was in one side and half in the other.

I had one like that once. From a Mexican shop. They cut a 10 lb one for me.

Johnny B... The method you have cited is using cure #2.... Their reference to "proper curing" is probably from a 1952 circular .... I wish you would link to the original document... Makes it difficult to track it down...
Anyway, we are in the 21st century and there are more modern methods that are VERY safe...
The method you have cited is OK for using cure #2... The nitrite protects the meat until the bacteria multiply due to the warmer temperature, then the bacteria multiply and convert the nitrate to nitrite... Nitrate has absolutely NO effect on botulism or pathogens UNTIL it has converted to nitrite...
We don't recommend that curing because we recommend refrigeration...
Your posts are confusing folks, and quite possibly confusing yourself...... maybe you should keep that method to yourself.....

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2055/ANSI-3994web.pdf

Fred Ray...The author of the article... https://www.linkedin.com/in/fred-ray-71343748

I'm asking about this Oklahoma State university report on proper curing and thickness references and cure time.. Something about 5 inches thick etc..
Anyone have an elaboration?

View attachment 343668

Last edited:
Reactions: Rings Я Us
Hi Mountains answer to my Email telling them the pamphlet states to store the meat at 40-45 degrees.

Thank you for your concern. 40 degrees is the standard refrigerator temperature. Also the cure prevents the growth of bacteria.

Thank you,

Customer Service @ Hi Mountain Seasonings

Phone: 1-800-829-2285

http://www.himtnjerky.com/

Hi Mountains answer to my Email telling them the pamphlet states to store the meat at 40-45 degrees.

Thank you for your concern. 40 degrees is the standard refrigerator temperature. Also the cure prevents the growth of bacteria.

Thank you,
Customer Service @ Hi Mountain Seasonings
Phone: 1-800-829-2285
http://www.himtnjerky.com/

Pretty stupid answer they gave you:
If my fridge wouldn't go below 40° I'd get rid of it immediately!!
And the cure prevents growth of bacteria---AFTER It's Cured !!

Bear

6.1.3. Temperature
The danger zone for microbial growth is 40-140°F (USDA FSIS 1997b). Therefore, store, age, cure, or otherwise preserve meats in a refrigerator below 40°F. Cooking meats to an internal temperature of 160°F will destroy bacteria that can cause foodborne illness (USDA FSIS 1997b). Any recipe that minimizes preservation time within the temperature danger zone followed by cooking to a safe internal temperature will minimize risks of food poisoning.

6.2.1. Meats
Meat must be fresh prior to applying any preservation method. Curing should not be used to salvage meat that has excessive bacterial growth or spoilage (PHS/FDA 2001). Meat, especially game meat, does not need to be aged, since curing/smoking will act to tenderize it. If aging is desired, age all meats below 40°F. (Cutter 2000).

Nitrate. Use cure mixtures that contain nitrate (e.g., Prague Powder 2, Insta-Cure 2) for dry-cured products that are not to be cooked, smoked, or refrigerated (PHS/FDA 2001). Dry cure using 3.5 oz. nitrate per 100 lbs. meat maximum or wet cure at a maximum of 700 ppm nitrates (9 CFR Cpt 3. 318.7(c)(4), 381.147(d)(4)).

Nitrite. Use cure mixtures that contain nitrite (e.g., Prague Powder 1, Insta-Cure 1) for all meats that require cooking, smoking, or canning (PHS/FDA 2001). Dry cure using 1 oz. nitrite per 100 lbs. meat maximum. For sausages use ¼ oz. per 100 lbs. (Reynolds and Schuler 1982). A 120 ppm concentration is usually sufficient and is the maximum allowed in bacon (PHS/FDA 2001).

Nitrites are toxic if used in quantities higher than recommended; therefore caution should be used in their storage and use (PHS/FDA 2001). About 1 g or 14mg/kg body weight sodium nitrite is a lethal dose to an adult human (USDA FSIS 1997b). Mistakenly using sodium nitrite instead of NaCl in typical curing recipes can lead to a lethal dose of nitrite in the incorrectly cured product (Borchert and Cassens 1998). For this reason it is safer to purchase and use curing mixtures rather than pure nitrites (saltpeter).

6.2.4. Cure Penetration
Cure mixtures do not penetrate into frozen meats. Before curing, it is essential to thaw meats completely first in the refrigerator. Pieces must be prepared to uniform sizes to ensure uniform cure penetration. This is extremely critical for dry and immersion curing (PHS/FDA 2001). Use an approved recipe for determining the exact amount of curing formulation to be used for a specified weight of meat or meat mixture (PHS/FDA 2001). All surfaces of meat must be rotated and rubbed at intervals of sufficient frequency to ensure cure penetration when a dry curing method is used (PHS/FDA 2001). Immersion curing requires periodic mixing of the batch to facilitate uniform curing (PHS/FDA 2001). Curing should be carried out at a temperature between 35°F and 40°F. The lower temperature is set for the purpose of ensuring cure penetration and the upper temperature is set to limit microbial growth (PHS/FDA 2001). Curing solutions must be discarded unless they remain with the same batch of product during its entire curing process –because of the possibility of bacterial growth and cross-contamination, do not reuse brine (PHS/FDA 2001).

Thanks Dave.
Somebody should explain that Temp to Hi Mountain.
They said the same thing 8 years ago that they say now---Cure between 40° and 45°.
And they gave "Rings" the answer above (post #54).

Bear

I saw that.. Well, the person responding on the phone, may be answering the question the way it was presented...
"Is it OK to cure meat above 40?" ... I think they will answer YES rather than tell a customer they are wrong... And the person answering the question, is probably not a meat scientist... They are there to sell product..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky