Pork butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike schenk

Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Laingsburg, MI
I have a 10# butt that I'm doing over an open flame, a fire pit. I have a food grate that I'm putting off to one side with cement blocks on the sides. The idea is to not have the coals directly under the meat. I'm looking for affirmation or ideas. 😀😀

Reactions: JLeonard
Have done this patience is the game. Coals under the meat depends on how close they are to the meat. meat in center coals to the side as chopsaw suggested and again how close to the meat the coals are. Keeping a consistent heat will also play in the game. Look at my avatar open pit over wood on a rotisserie. Enjoy and hope it comes out well for you.

Warren

I have a 10# butt that I'm doing over an open flame, a fire pit. I have a food grate that I'm putting off to one side with cement blocks on the sides. The idea is to not have the coals directly under the meat. I'm looking for affirmation or ideas. 😀😀
Had no sleep two night ago so am doing it now.
The lid is an afterthought. Unfortunately my temp 8s fluctuating quite a bit. It is a work in progress, so we'll see. More to come
16911516208934726401500096945920.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky