Pork Belly and Buckboard Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Belly and the last Buckboard were pretty much dry-cured, but I did put a little water in the ziplock bag. The first 3 were Pop's with half sugar, one with refined white, another generic Sugar-In-The-Raw, another brown. Pickling spice rub on all three, and pickling+quite a bit of Fenugreek seed on the last buckboard. Tried to keep temp <150*F, by using large splits of Pin Oak and keeping the firebox on my old Brinkmann open the whole time for TBS.

IMG_20210629_133423.jpg

IMG_20210629_200817.jpg

IMG_20210629_201326.jpg

IMG_20210701_130911.jpg

IMG_20210701_130935.jpg

Other Buckboard and Belly-

IMG_20210702_123228.jpg

IMG_20210702_190920.jpg

Belly sliced-
IMG_20210703_131826.jpg

Fenugreek+Pickling Spice Buckboard-
IMG_20210703_133134.jpg

That looks great all around. Nice job.
Question, did you get any maple flavor from the fenugreek?
Thats really nice looking bacon.

Reactions: Hamdrew
That looks great all around. Nice job.
Question, did you get any maple flavor from the fenugreek?
Thats really nice looking bacon.
Yes! Quite a bit. I finally got more fenugreek leaf, too, so am gonna play around next with it in the brine and rub.

JLeonard JLeonard
Read my mind! BLT's are just about my favorite sandwich, and tomatoes at the market are starting to get real good. As for trying bacon, it is SUPER easy and rewarding. I'm also getting hooked on "corned" pork (curing then braising in the oven) sandwiches for lunch. Tastes just about the same, but IMO better, as the spices shine through a little more than using beef.

Can't beat the price using butts, either, or even spares which made the most delicious broth I've ever tasted with all that bone and collagen.

DRKsmoking DRKsmoking
Better than the wet-brined, but not by too much as far as I can tell at this point. Some of that has gotta be from the different rub, too, and I'll know better trying them side by side again. and again, and again, LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky