Pellet Users NOT Stick or Charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
BTW, I quit wear'n panties in the summer. Easier to "breath", if you know what I mean.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

And excuse us KS folks for our reading comprehension, we're not as good as CA people. (ok, that was serious..my 1%.......panty part incl.)

OK Terry, We wouldn't want to disappoint you.

Hey everybody, I still say wood pellets are just recycled pigeon poop, and only the sun affected folks from Socal call a grill a BBQ!

Help out a fairly new guy here. What are you talking about when you say "pellets"?

I have a little bag of Jack Daniels charcoal pellets that I guess I am supposed to throw in the smoker. I haven't used them yet. Is that what you call pellets?

Pellets are usually small wood pieces about the size of eraser on a pencil. Much like small pieces from a limb/branch/twig of wood. They usually have a good burn rate, and they truly give you the smoke flavor as any other wood would do. Very hard to find a wood mixture, so you might mix your own. Wood chips are much larger, more like pieces torn off the limbs/branches and are used extensively. I hope this helps.

SmokyOky "Hey everybody, I still say wood pellets are just recycled pigeon poop, and only the sun affected folks from Socal call a grill a BBQ!"
LOL, I don't care who I am, thats funny right there!
Pigeon poop IS bad if it is recycled, but pellets are PURE POO and that is goooooooood s!#t maynard.
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif

These are the types of threads that keep me comming back for more. "The water wouldn't be fun if it weren't for the waves!"

Later

Forgive my ignorance, but is there actually a fire in the Trager? How do they work? And I think there is a huge difference between BBQ and grilling.

It's good that you know the difference. Those that don't should start eating more real Q. The problem is that it's not available in a lot of areas.

I've never used a Traeger, but believe that they work much the same as a pellet stove that you might use for heat. They work by gravity feeding pellets from a hopper to a small combustion area where forced air keeps a small fire blazing hot.

I've eaten food cooked on a Traeger, and it wasn't bad. They should produce at least as good of food as an electric ar gas smoker. I just don't think they'll do quite what a good stick burner will do, but then again, not all of us have a stick burner. They canbe expensive, and they take a while to learn.

I think sometimes people make things harder than they have to be. I use my CG with the SFB with good results all the time. It does take some tending, like 2 times to reload fuel for a 6-8 hour smoke but who cares, I do yard work lay by the pool etc. I know the CGer w/SFB isn't like some of the "big custom rigs" but it does well smoking.

... you guys are wearing PANTIES? Uuhhh, maybe that's the rub right there...
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
tongue.gif

cooo... cooo..., I love it, I love it!! Me too Debi, he is a great actor, when he was on Gunsmoke, he was always the bad guy, a great guitar(sp) picker on Andy Griffth. Dang honey, we are too young to remember that far back. Oh I forgot, when the Dukes of Hazzard was on, you were about, 12 or 10?
icon_smile.gif
Terry

Hey SmokyOky, you are right as far as what is available in some places. There are just a few places here that smoke on stick burners, and I can cook much better than that..........................BUT!!! There is a difference between cook'n for "people" and cook'n for family/friends.

The traegers are great, no doubt....same as any other smoker &/or grill. But I must say, as soon as I can afford it, I'm gonna have a DP Fat 50 on the back of my pickup!

Wood is hard to find around here, too.("thats what she said" from sitcom Office)

I honestly believe that a good cook can cook on anything and it will come out great. IE Bobby Flay's Throwdown. He's good.

The "nitty-gritty" is the cook. And I can smoke the best food my family has EVER HAD............as long as they don't eat anywhere else
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_30.gif

I want you on chat oky, I think it would be fun as heck. You'd probably win any argument, but still fun. If everyone agreed, there wouldn't be competition..........

later
TURD

Wood is also hard to find here in the Desert. There is a Landscaping outfit in Lancaster Ca. that sells Pellet Heating stoves and BBQ Pellets. Do not to confuse them with Heating pellets. You do not want to use heating pellets in place of BBQing ones. Heating pellets are made from any kind of wood.

Yeah, but just like Flay's Asian baby back ribs, the crowd determined that they weren't BBQ. No doubt, he know's his way around the kitchen, but i'd take a Q throwdown challenge any day. There's something I don't trust about him too....... I know, he's skinny, and as a famous man once said, never trust a skinny cook.

BTW, What is a DP Fat 50?

I prefer debate as opposed to argument. In a debate, truth is generally the winner, and when truth wins, all benefit.

Heck fellows come on down here to texas I'm gonna fire up the general at 3:00 am sunday morning for a little get together and have a good time.

DP stands for diamond plate. check them out here http://diamondplateproducts.com/index.php

Debate/argument, yea I know what you mean. But the real "truth" is in the one who eats the food. 6 of one 1/2 doz another......yada yada yada.

I don't believe the old say'n of "never trust a skinny cook". That really doesn't mean ____.........it's just a say'n. Flay has a "knack" for taste, and I won't argue w/him as I don't have restaurants make'n me tons of $$$$$$$$$$. He's good, at bbq/smoke'n, I really don't know.

I'll bet a buck that if we switched smokers you would win, it wouldn't have anything to do w/the smoker......it's the cook. I'll stand behind that way more than my traeger.

I'm not a BIG traeger fan, it works for me and how I use it. I like to slap something on and check on it after 4 hrs, that way I can get some work done. I don't care to tend a fire, doesn't "light my 'match'", but turn'n a switch and not have'n to worry does "light my match".

I will admit that I'd like a stick burner, but I wouldn't use it near as much as my traeger.

I'd also like to say that the pellets are wood, and yes they can burn very hot. I consider the traeger just 1 step below a stick burner, but many steps above many others.

BTW, is a charcoal brickett made out of compressed wood? I dont' ask unless I know the answer.

I think it would be a blast to sit by your smoker, drink some beers and debate this till my butt turned blue. Some day my friend, some day.

It's great, hope to see you on chat some time.

Take care
BigfatlazyAL

Marvin, you on the E or W side of the street? Do you want me to bring my traeger to back you up? Just want to help, I'm one helluva guy!
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Wish I could, more than you know. Have a good one buddy, I'll be think'n of ya as I fish for rainbow trout up in the rocky mountains........w/my kids, girlfriend, and my wife(they get along so good..........hey u know they kinda get along tooooooooooo good, somethin's up
PDT_Armataz_01_23.gif
......I could add more but this IS a family site)

BTW, it'll be about 70* where I'll be, how about you?
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Take care man, just remember a traeger is just a couple States away.
PDT_Armataz_01_25.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky