oklahoma joe highland smoke stack size

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alex427

Original poster
Aug 16, 2020
hi , new here.
Im over in the UK so smoker choice isn pretty limited.I have an oklahoma joe highland.
Would have loved an old country...
The joe seems ok but when I use online calculators they tell me the smoke stack is undersized. Should be 24" not the 17" it is.
Or if I go to a 4" stack should be 13.5" which seems too short.
I have a metalworker and we thought of adding a new stack at grate level with a wider intake across the grill.
want to get the stack size correct

many thanks

the old country smokers seem to have 5 or 6" stacks for the same size smoker...

My Old Country Brazos has a 6" stack .... but ... the exhaust port is only 4.5 " . I've no idea why OC did that.

The OC Pecos has a 5" stack with the same 4.5 " port.

I put an extension on the stack, I used a 2 foot piece of duct. I think it helps with the draw, but I've no way to measure that. You can see it in this pic, I think

Attachments

• Dec brisket cook1.jpg
    Dec brisket cook1.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 159
hi , new here.
Im over in the UK so smoker choice isn pretty limited.I have an oklahoma joe highland.
The joe seems ok but when I use online calculators they tell me the smoke stack is undersized. Should be 24" not the 17" it is.
I have a metalworker and we thought of adding a new stack at grate level with a wider intake across the grill.

many thanks
I have the OJ and find that if I run a hot oak fire with 6x2.5 inch splits with open door generates way too much heat 300-400F. If I could let out the heat faster to lower the temp by increase that out-flow of heat/smoke the temp would be closer to a manageable temp.
If you could increase it with a larger draft like the OC go for it.

A bigger fire box would have been great.
I went to a 2 level system with briquette/lump coals on the top level. The level under the coals is where I add small splits of wood 3x2.
Holds avg 265F.

thanks thats helpful.I think the Joe is nearer pecos size so would do a 5" stack.
Whats the height of the stack?
presumably the 4.5" restriction negates the 5 or 6" stack dimension?

My Old Country Brazos has a 6" stack .... but ... the exhaust port is only 4.5 " . I've no idea why OC did that.

The OC Pecos has a 5" stack with the same 4.5 " port.

I put an extension on the stack, I used a 2 foot piece of duct. I think it helps with the draw, but I've no way to measure that. You can see it in this pic, I think
also , makes me think my little 3" stack at 17" is well undersized if thats a 5/6" stack and you've extended it.
Even on the highland

I'm not a pit builder and don't have any experience beyond my Brazos. But I think a stack can't be too high.

Look at the stack on Aaron Franklin's backyard pit , or Mill Scale , or Workhorse pits.

And these large propane tank pits made by Primitive

For raw OKJ highland when i use the calculator it tells me 3" stack 24" high , 5" stack only 8.6" high!!!

ok , I'm putting a 10" stack 8' on mine!!
seriously though , just looked at these and also the franklin book and smokers - big smokestacks.
As he says its easier to shorten than to lengthen so will use 4 or 5" tube and go for 30" tall.

hi , new here.

many thanks

Hi there,

I'm in Europe too, and like you could only find a OK Joe Highland.

I'm currently getting ready to mod mine, and am doing the calculator thing now.
Don't suppose you can paste your calculations in here, can you? It would really help me out.

Going to do a reverse flow conversion on mine.

From what i've seen, in addition to the stack, the FB/CC opening size needs to get smaller.
The chimney is 3" diameter, right?

Thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky