Now what do I do?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flounderhead

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
I recently asked about the discrepancies between the thermometer on my smoker door and the actual box temp. The Thermoworks Smoke was recommended. I looked it up and it was on sale. Emailed my wife saying it would be a good gift idea. She said sure, get it. So I ordered one. 2 days later she tells me the Thermoworks Smoke she ordered will be delivered soon. NOW, do I keep both? Send one back? I have never in the past, nor do I anticipate needing to monitor multiple pieces of meat simultaneously.

Not knowing your smoker size or if you could potentially throw a party needing to utilize 4 temp probes I would keep them.
Or return them both and get a Fireboard thermometer!!
With the fireboard you can have up to 6 probes on one machine and you can hook it up through your WiFi/Bluetooth.
There is an app for your phone and I love mine and being able to know exactly what’s going on.
Of course if you never think you’ll ever want to know about 4 pieces of meat at once then just return one and move forward.

It's just a small Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain smoker and I don't throw parties.

If I may.... I have 2 Mavericks. 1 Thermoworks. A Maverick pen. And 1 Tappecue (currently my favorite). I’d keep both. There will be a time they all come in handy. B

Reactions: chopsaw
Even before I got my electric smoker, just for grilling alone I had two probe ones I can connect to a fancy remote thing, two instant reads, and my smoker has one built in. I guess I'm saying just never get rid of things. You never know when some thing might break mid cooking, or you unexpected add some thing new to a planned session and need another unit on hand.

How about having a spare? How about careful comparison testing, then keep the most accurate?
Unless she might bite your head off, I'd probably keep both.

I bet you have a spare tire in your vehicle.
How about a spare temperature unit in the drawer?

Last edited:
Reactions: bdskelly
She did say I should alternate using them as I bought a different color than she did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky