No foil butt, first time, update it's done!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al, great post and way to hang in there for the long haul! The heavy gloves that have been posted are great for removing meat from the smoker etc but as pointed out, they are a little thick for doing detailed work. When I pull And slice etc, I use a doubled up pair of disposable gloves, works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know Dean I was thinking of doing just that, I had 1 pair of vinyl gloves on, next time I'll do two.

Thanks to all you guys for your kind remarks, and for following me thru my sleepless night. I've been napping on & off all day. Next all nighter will be the pastrami that's curing in the fridge. That should be another fun time. I think that I will not foil that either, never done one with out foil before, so it will be another first.

Looks mouth watering Al....Way ta tough it out!!!!  Get it, tough it out???  lmao   I crack myself up!!!! 
yahoo.gif

As for gloves, these are what you want. Jerry (Pineywoods) turned me on to these 1 1/2 years ago and I use them always when taken meat from the smoker or whatever else I need to do. Food doesn't slip and you don't feel any heat!!!!   I wouldn't use anything else!!!  Check them out and you'll be amazed...

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=4021131  

Looks mouth watering Al....Way ta tough it out!!!!  Get it, tough it out???  lmao   I crack myself up!!!! 
yahoo.gif

As for gloves, these are what you want. Jerry (Pineywoods) turned me on to these 1 1/2 years ago and I use them always when taken meat from the smoker or whatever else I need to do. Food doesn't slip and you don't feel any heat!!!!   I wouldn't use anything else!!!  Check them out and you'll be amazed...

http://www.coleparmer.com/catalog/product_view.asp?sku=4021131  
Are they flexible enough for pulling pork?

Oneshot....you can get those cheaper.  TexasBBQRub.com has then for $11.  i got a pair from the, i'm pretty sure they are the same

I saw those too, but the question still remains are they flexible enough to pull pork with. I can see how they would be great for handling food off the grill.

AL that butt looks great real nice job.. Great to hear the WSM went that long that is great.. I can't wait to see how long mine will go 18.5... Did you find any disadvantages when using the kingford blue bag?

Those heavy gloves are similar to the ones I use to mix ice cold ground beef by hand.

The first time I tried to mix 10 pounds of ground beef by hand without them, I felt like I was coming down with a severe case of arthritis!

Bear

Looks mighty fine Al. What time is dinner.

When you started the smoke, I knew you wouldn't go back to foil once you tried it.

I'll do the same next time when cooking butts, I'll start the night before.

Looks Great Al!!!  What time is dinner.

When you started the smoke, I knew you wouldn't foil again. It's just to good to do it any other way.

But then again, everybody has their own opinion.

Al that butt looks great... I never foil the ones I do.

Welcome to the long haul club Al! Yeah I have gotten to where if I plan on doing unfoiled brisket or butt I start my smoke at midnight (or sooner), that way I can usually have it for dinner the next night 
439.gif
. One thing you can do is around the 16-17 hr. mark start checking the tenderness with a toothpick, I have found that there are times where the internal temp. will be around 190-195 but due to the long cook time the meat is plenty tender and ready to be rested and pulled.

I usually use one full 16 lb. bag of Kingsford blue bag on my long 16+ hr. cooks with my WSM, but I always keep an extra bag on hand just in case the weather is colder than I expect. A cold snap will run you out of fuel very fast, but if the weather stays nice then going 20 hrs. is no problem. Long live the WSM!
first.gif

th_wsmsmile0ly.gif
 Another step towards WSM heaven, Al!

Great things come to those who wait...I know exactly how you felt waiting it out until you had to deal with mother nature's wishes, on top of the already difficult and long battle with your biological clock. In the past couple of years I've had enough 18-22+ hour smokes, and even though the weight of the meat shouldn't take that long, sometimes it'll test your patience. Putting the extra time into a no-foiled smoke really does make a huge difference in the finished product, IMO. You rocked that baby all the way home, brother! It's got a big dog's bark...WOOF-WOOF!!!

Hey, if you haven't smoked no-foil spares or BB's, that would be another one I think you should try...some don't like the tug and prefer a tender chew, but I like 'em. That's how I learned to smoke ribs once upon a time, and after finding SMF did alot of foiling with almost everything. I'm going back to basics more and more lately and like I it better that way.

I think I'll have to try your method for the minion in my brinky gourmet...gets to be a PITA adding to the fire in that thing every 2-3 hours, pulling the barrel off so you don't cover the meat with ashes...it should hold at least eight lbs, which should run at 8-10 hours even on a bad day. Anyway, next longer smoke I throw into it, I'll give it a whirl. Oooooh, I just rememebred, I have limited clearance between the water pan and top of the charcoal basket...could be an issue with the pyramid. Maybe another mod to lower the basket will be in order. I'll work it out.

Sounds like you're a convert to the no-foiled PP...I'm leaning very hard in that direction myself. Leaning hard enough to roll all the way over, after having two butts in one smoke that were really good, and my last one was just unreal...no turning back now, Al, for either one of us!

Glad it all worked out for some fantastic pulled pork...that stuff looked just BEAUTIFUL!!! And the color of the interior meat, well, I can't get that from any of the gassers I've run, but charcoal hits the bulls-eye everytime.

Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky