Pork butt - smoker shut down

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerfail

Original poster
Jan 28, 2024
Had a 9 lb pork butt on GMG from 11:00 pm until this morning at 6:15 am. From the grafts the GMG shut off around 4:30 am. I checked it at 6:15; meat was at 129, tried to restart GMG unsuccessfully and then went to the oven, 275. Wrapped it in foil.

The meat probe is the top graph; in a fairly thick section. Good bark had already formed.

It’s now 7:19 am and only now starting to bend the curve and slowly heating up in oven.

Is this headed for the trash?

Attachments

• IMG_1352.png
    IMG_1352.png
    492.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1351.png
    IMG_1351.png
    492.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1348.png
    IMG_1348.png
    415.6 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: JLeonard
It got to about 150 IT at 5am. It's edible at 145. You could eat it if you like pork flavored bubble gum but needs to keep cooking to get tender. Set the pit probe to a range like 145-290 for an alarm.

Yes you're ok, keep smoking. BUT: It's so sad to keep reading about an overnight attempt where the smoker shut off. Please people, think about what could go wrong with this scenario. There is no sense to potentially ruin your efforts when a ounce of prevention can save you. Invest in a wireless digital thermometer that has at least two probes (meat and grate) and an alarm that can wake you if something goes wrong. There are plenty of choices out there. Just make sure you test it, and its fully charged / new batteries before you set out to smoke overnight.

Keep going. You'll be fine.
Thank you! Wasn’t sure what to do. I had a wireless temp probe and woke up every two hours but definitely preventable.
Does not the iGrill have the ability to set a hi/lo temp alarm?I would think that could be set up under Creating a Custom Preset?

Anyways schlotz schlotz makes an excellent point.A hi/lo temp alarm can save a lot of time,money and heartache.
Thanks everyone! I wasn’t able to get it to set or alarm; just woke up every two hours to check and that’s how I found it at the 6:15 am check point. Oven shot the temp up, so fingers crossed. It is 9:12 am and at 198. Thank you everyone. Was worried it might be headed for trash. Time for a new smoker… I had replaced the fan and heating element and had three good smokes. The gfci had popped so no idea what happened out there last night.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad you were able to make the save!

I use to love doing overnight smokes. I'd stay up for the most part watching the temps, reading, chatting with people here at SMF who were doing the same and consumed 1 or 2 adult beverages. I'd sneak in a cat and here or there. Looking forward to that again soon after I pick up my WSM today.
I hope staying up isn't a thing of the past with all the newer automation that exists today.

Even with all the technology you still gotta be cognizant of what is going on. Even with remote probes and alarms I never really go to sleep when doing an over Night cook .
Good save on your part. Enjoy the PP! and share the finished pics with us.

Jim

Reactions: boykjo
Even with all the technology you still gotta be cognizant of what is going on. Even with remote probes and alarms I never really go to sleep when doing an over Night cook .
Good save on your part. Enjoy the PP! and share the finished pics with us.

Jim
Rested in the cooler for a couple hours. Couldn’t resist grabbing some for a rice bowl, thumbs up from my son. If it’s my last meal it is damn good. (Bark not the best due to the foil wrap) Pork Butt came from local butcher shop, Freedom meat locker. Always impressive what they sell…. for any Central CA members.

Attachments

• IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg
    248.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1360.jpeg
    IMG_1360.jpeg
    154 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1359.jpeg
    IMG_1359.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 12
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky