No clue where to start, please help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rpk bullies

Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
south central nebraska
Hi all,
I want to get a smoker this season, so Im trying to find the best info I can. I've consulted a few friends and have a little bit of an idea of things but I still have along way to go.

So first things first....I need to find a good smoker. I don't want a real small one, but not a real huge one either, I like to do cook outs for friends so need one that can handle that. I have looked at some and I am liking the horizontal ones with the fire box, but again I know nothing.

This will be the first of many questions....Thanks!

Catie

Electric, charcoal, wood, or propane?

You'll need a digital thermometer no matter which one you get (well it helps).

Do you have metal fabricating abilities / access? Most of the horizontal ones with side fire boxes require some mods to make them a bit more stable, unless you go out and buy one for $$$.

Catie you came to the right place. Your going to find answer to all your questions here. As for the smoker, do you have a budget in mind? If price is a factor I would go first with maybe a brinkmann SnP or chargriller. A little more pricey is the WSM . If you don't want much much to attend to there are also the electric ones like the MES.

Good luck & let us know what you get

I would highly suggest a 22.5" WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain). Large enough to cook for a crowd, but still has the same footprint as a Weber Kettel grill. Very idiot proof, you do have to learn how to use it, but it is fairly forgiving. Once you get it dialed in you can almost just ignore it till you are done.

I originally purchased a Char-Griller with side-fire-box for $170 and a year later I am selling that and got a WSM 22.5" for $375.... should have just got the WSM first, but I didn't have anybody to tell me otherwise at the time... lol.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

I did the following:

1) Bradley Electric
2) 18.5 WSM
3) SnP

I like them all, but if I were to do it again, I'd go WSM first. Learning to use charcoal is not hard at all. The Bradley is still good for cold smoking, and I got the SnP for more grill space / learning how to mod one for my own I'm trying to build out of 1/4".

Well we've been grilling with charcoal for the last 8 years, never do propane. When I first decided I wanted a smoker I was thinking Ill just get an electric one, but then I thought that I might be missing the actual process of smoking meat and miss out on some of the flavor??? So my mind veered back to the charcoal/wood smokers.

I have looked at one chargrill and like the style, but it didn't look overly sturdy.
My price range really is in the 200's not wanting to go over 300. I'd rather buy a good one the first time around, thats why Im asking for help
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions, I will check them out and Im sure there will be questions about them.

I'd say save up a bit and get the WSM then. Even the 18.5" can handle a decent amount of food, and it is kick ass out of the box usage, great quality!

One thing I would suggest is get a smoker bigger than you think you need. I started out with a ECB and upgraded to the UDS and I'm glad I did.

As for me, my choice would be the WSM. If you are concerned about size, go 22"...it is not going to hurt. But the 18" does great and is plenty enough big for an average size party. Great smokers, easy to use, and you still get to "play". I use the minion method to fire the smoker, there are tutorials here to show you how. Good luck to you and send some pics> And a thermometer is an absolute necessity. Digital in the meat. You will be cooking by temp, not time. Have a ball and check in often.

Thanks guys so much, any feed back on the electric ones would be great as well. Kinda like the cookshack smokette its more than I wanted to spend, but Im not opposed to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky