Next door neighbor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

patriots

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
weymouth ma.
Well I got my first char-grill wood smoker. Been reading all the posts and getting go answers. I said self, lets do a chicken for our first time. Got the wood going, a feat in its self. Got the temp to 225. holding steady with a couple of sticks of oak. you still with me. Smoking for an hour when the cops show up and tell me the smoke is going in my neighbors house and they want me to shut it down. Well having about eight beers I decided that I would not shut it down. They served me with a complaint and I now have to go to court. Next week I am doing a brisket and I will have it smoking for ten hours. I hope they have a smoke alarm that goes off every five minutes. Not being an ass it isnt that much smoke.

Welcome to SMF. Sucks about the neighbors. If you know them you can always give them some Q and this should change their minds about calling the cops.

Check out the 5 day ecourse when you can. Lots of great information in it.

Couple of Questions.
  1. How close are the neighbors?
  2. How Many Tickets Can You Afford?
    icon_mrgreen.gif
  3. Can you relocate your smoker to not blow their way?
  4. *Where do you live?
*Just so I know not to Ever Move To That Town...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

Give some Q to the cops next time they come. They will then tell the neighbor to make nice, with remanents of quality Q on their faces. Neighbor will then know which side they are on!

Okay, maybe giving some Q to the neighbors and playing nice there is the way to go.

Keep doughnuts on hand.

Welcome to the forum - I can't beleive the neighbors and even more the cops. Smoke some mixed nuts and take them over to the neighbors and see if they get the irony

I'm inclined to side with new poster patriots.

HOWEVER.

I know that I don't want my smoke blowing in my own windows to any great extent. If I were the neighbor in a condo complex or something and the smoke were billowing directly into my windows, I too would have sought some measure of redress. However, I'd have asked you first.

So I have 2 questions:
a) How close is the neighbor's house?
b) You mentioned smoking for an hour and having had eight beers... is your timeframe accurate? Did the neighbor come and make a request before calling the cops?

I can't stand people who call the cops before trying to reason things out. But eight beers in a hour... people ain't generally thinking rationally in that condition.

I feel for you with those kind of neighbors...I got a feeling if the cops in my town were called for that they would have a good laugh...maybe u should just smoke when the wind is blowing the other way...and 1 question in my mind is how much smoke do u have coming out of that thing..i couldn't imagine a thin blue smoke causeing any problems besides hunger pains to them.

That's a bummer...but my guess would be, sometime soon you might have the chance to reason with them. Let them know that the next time you smoke, you'll move the smoker to a slightly different location, or put up a wind block on one side, to direct the smoke away from their house.

OR - it they just won't listen any sort of reaoning at all, you might suggest that the next time they have ANY sort of music playing loud, or their dog gets out, or their kids are squealing tires, or their trash blows into your yard, etc...instead of being a MAN and walking over to discuss it with them - you'll just be a chicken sh!t and call the police first. See if that changes their tune
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, if you can produce GOOD 'que, and you think your neighbors just MIGHT enjoy it, drop some off to them as a peace offering.

My suggestion, would be to do a pork butt and give them some pulled pork. There are no bones (some people are weird about meat on the bone...thank God I'm not one of them) plus it's fairly easy to do, and you end up with a lot! I just bought two awesome looking shoulders from Kroger for 97 cents per pound. For $5.35 on one I just smoked, I yielded over 3 lbs of super-fantastic meat! You give enough for 3-5 sandwiches to the grumpy neighbors - it maybe cost you 70 cents, and it might work!

I hope this is an easy question. Do you rent? I hope so because you can always move. But if you own then it's alittle stickier you mite have to take your neighbor over some Q. If that doesn't work I guess you'll have to take up knitting.

yeah...cooking for neighbors is a good way to win them over...I've had several marriage proposals...WTH would I do with two?

prolly the best thing is try to make it right and make friends...I've been in some neighborhood feuds and it always sucks.

Sure am glad I live in the country next to Texan bikers.

At least now that the weather is cooling down they will start running the heat and keeping their windows down, other than that you could do like others said and try to reason with them but someone who is going to call the cops over a little smoke and not even talk to you about it, well there are just some people who can't be reasoned with.
Welcome to the site, keep us updated on the good smoke and lousy neighbors.

I have to go with the flow on this one. If your neighbors drink, why not bring them an 11 pack and try and work out a deal. Beer and Q do great together. Some neighbors just cannot be wreckoned with and unfortunately we all have one of those from time to time. My neighbors all come out when I am smoking and ask for is for dinner.....so that is my cue to make sure I always make a little more to please the neighbors.

This was my first time doing this. It made some good smoke at first, then it let up. I own my house. This guy is just a jerk and he thinks he owns the street. He has problems with everyone. I am fifty and he is around sixty-three. I am moving my smoker to the other side of the house. The cops in Boston have time to check if Im smoking but not the crack heads that broke into the cars on the street two weeks ago. One cop even said I may need a fire permit, and he would look into it. A fire permit! what every time I want to smoke! I wish I lived in a rural area away from this crap. Today I am going to do two more whole chickens. Have a few beers and not let this bother me. I like this smoking, it is a lot of fun. Thanks everyone. I will send some pixs of my chicken. Question? How long would it take to smoke a full size male if I quarter it. Just asking.

Question:
What happened to #12?
icon_mrgreen.gif

Not long if you marinate for a week in a large barrel full of gasoline first...
icon_mrgreen.gif

outside doing a chicken. Trying to keep smoker at 225. learning and eager to learn. Ordered a new thermometer. One that came with it not the best. No police or fire yet, but it is still early. I just want to be left alone. I like my beer and sports radio. I just found out he is having bible study tonight. this should be good. Wife said we have bail money if needed. Have to love the wife.

HMMMMMMMM!!!!
Bible study you say , I bet that means extra cars, i bet there are parking ordinances in your neighborhood that say no parking in the street and some places you can't park in the yard.
Call your local police and get citations written for illegaly parked vehicles.
Or go to the neighbor and explain that he can have his bible study and you can smoke or you will call the police every time you see a violation.
Two can play that game! use the law to your advantage.
Don't get mad get even w/o breaking the law.

You cannot take beer over to a neighbor's house without making sure it is proper serving temperature first can you?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky