newbie with a dumb question :)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tnelson42345

Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
I just recently bought a smoker and have a smoked a few turkey breast that have turned out okay. But my question is how far in the breast should you place the thermometer? I have noticed the reading can vary 5-10 degrees depending on the depth and placement of the thermometer???

Also, can you just leave an analog thermometer in the breast while it smokes? Or do you have to keep poking holes in the bird? I currently have a digital one, but an analog would
icon_question.gif
seem to be easier if you could just leave it in the bird??? I have seeing the juices run out as Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m losing flavor and moisture.

Thanks for you help! I look forward to learning a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always do the thickest part of the breast. Around a 45º angle and at all cost avoid hitting a bone.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Sure, if it is a decent analog. Get the digital ones though.

Is your digital similar to this? http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11ZVAK7X5TL._SL125_.jpg[/img]
If so you might consider one like this...http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21NZ5TGYWCL._SL125_.jpg[/img]

This would allow you to just place the probe in and leave it in during the entire cook. If you must get an analog and want to leave it in make sure the face of it is made of glass and not plastic and you should be ok.
The digital one I posted is an example and many are out there. They end up being only a few dollars more than analogs and can do a ton more.

DS has ya covered. Get a model with a wired probe you can leave in. Also, stop by the Roll Call forum and introduce yourself proper-like... location, smoker type, experience, etc. We need that info to help with accurate answers to your questions. I also recommend the 5 day ecourse...full of tips and techniques for smoking.

I signed up for the ecourse and stopped by the Roll Call.

Thanks!!!!!!

I'm still confused on how far to insert the thermometer? Just barely? An inch? All the way?

I placed one in the breast about 2-2.5 inches in angled, and one in the thigh area. The temp difference in the two was within 10-15 degrees. I've got three digital thermo's with the probes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky