Inconsistent Temperatures MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

washington_browns

Original poster
Nov 6, 2023
Salisbury, MD
Hey all, hope this is the right spot to as this question.

I'm trying out smoking and ended up getting a used analog MES on Facebook Marketplace, a smoke tube, and a 2 probe thermometer. I was going to get a nice pellet, but figured I should buy something a little cheaper first and make sure I'll use it.

I tried to smoke a pork butt overnight but the temperature went up pretty dramatically while I was asleep. I know MES temperature fluctuations are common, but this seemed odd. When I went to sleep the temps were fluctuating between 225 and 175, and when I woke up around 2am the temps were fluctuating between 265 and 200. I was not smart at 2am and turned the heat down a bit and it started fluctuating from 200 to 165. I'm now trying to save it, but I dont have my hopes up (which is fine, I'm happy to learn!). It seems like the temperature setting on the analog is all over the place.

My main question is, did I get bit by buying this used smoker? Or is this a user error? Happy to provide any more details and thanks!

Last edited:
What temp did you have it set for, your pork butt should be fine you can finish in oven if needed. Maybe look into a pid for your smoker.

Reactions: choochooman442
It’s an analog so it doesn’t have a direct temperature to set to. I was trying to get it to stay at 200 overnight, and to do that I had to have it set very low.

This is what I have it to now and it’s fluctuating between 280 and 230

Attachments

• IMG_9460.jpeg
    IMG_9460.jpeg
    133.6 KB · Views: 17
Add this PID controller to your MES and it will make things a lot easier and enjoyable. "Well" worth the investment if you decide to keep or sell in future.
Our guy tallbm tallbm could walk you thru the easy wiring. Good luck !
product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id

Whoops that link didn't work but aubers WS 1510 ELPM

Reactions: MJB05615 and dr k
Add this PID controller to your MES and it will make things a lot easier and enjoyable. "Well" worth the investment if you decide to keep or sell in future.
Our guy tallbm tallbm could walk you thru the easy wiring. Good luck !
product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id

Whoops that link didn't work but aubers WS 1510 ELPM
Thanks I’ll take a look!

Great info so far. I don't think the analogs are insulated but not 100%. Before going PID I'd scrap/sell it and find an MES (digital) on FB Marketplace. Here they can be had $50-100 all day long.

Dang! I thought an analog would be fine. I guess I should have done more research. This is the one I picked up https://www.lowes.com/pd/Masterbuil...eB_b9077-QfdUkEd-qYaAlPAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
You could stick to it and try to make it work but I wouldn't. The analog has no temp sensor meaning it's set and you get what you get. You set MES to 225F and there is a sensor kicks the heat on when it gets low and off when too high. There's a swing but nothing like you experienced. Works pretty dang good. I think that's you expected to happen but the analog doesn't work that way. Hopefully that make sense. Your research was fruitful as you got the tube...

Reactions: washington_browns
I have a smoker like that, and it's not insulated. You will definitely get temp swings. Get that auber pid and you can keep the temp within a couple degrees... cold and wind will affect it. No wiring to it... plug auber into outlet, plug smoker into auber.

Ryan

Reactions: washington_browns
Hey all, hope this is the right spot to as this question.

I'm trying out smoking and ended up getting a used analog MES on Facebook Marketplace, a smoke tube, and a 2 probe thermometer. I was going to get a nice pellet, but figured I should buy something a little cheaper first and make sure I'll use it.

I tried to smoke a pork butt overnight but the temperature went up pretty dramatically while I was asleep. I know MES temperature fluctuations are common, but this seemed odd. When I went to sleep the temps were fluctuating between 225 and 175, and when I woke up around 2am the temps were fluctuating between 265 and 200. I was not smart at 2am and turned the heat down a bit and it started fluctuating from 200 to 165. I'm now trying to save it, but I dont have my hopes up (which is fine, I'm happy to learn!). It seems like the temperature setting on the analog is all over the place.

My main question is, did I get bit by buying this used smoker? Or is this a user error? Happy to provide any more details and thanks!
Hi there and welcome!

Don't fret, I think you have some options.

1. Pork butts don't care what temp you are smoking them at so feel free to let it ride high and I would suggest cranking it up. I do mine at 275F on the dot but you could do it higher if want. Again if you aren't burning it a pork butt won't care about the temp.

2. Your analog smoker is ready to go immediately with a PID controller if you want to be able hit and hold temps dead on or within a few degrees vs the big temp swings.
  • You plug the PID controller into the wall
  • Drop the PID temp probe down the MES vent and clip it to the center of the lowest rack so the PID can sense the smoker temp
  • Plug the MES Analog into the PID controller
  • Turn the MES Analog temp dial all the way open/max (so it doesn't restrict flow of electricity to the element)
  • Enter your smoker temp into the PID controller and you are done!
  • The PID Controller will take power from the wall, feed it to the MES plug/element to hit and hold at the temp you punched in, done!!
One final thing. As mentioned by the others, your MES Analog has zero insulation. Getting a welding blanket or mylar insulation sleeve, or rigging up some kind of insulation all around and on top will greatly help your smoker efficiency so it doesn't lose heat so quickly.

Finally, you aren't screwed. There is just some playing around and potential tweaks you can make to really crank out some great BBQ with what you have. Starting for now, feel free to crank up the temp and your pork but will be fine. Again a pork butt doesn't really care about the temp it's cooking at AND they are about the most forgiving cut of meat you can smoke. You got this! :D

Hi there and welcome!

Don't fret, I think you have some options.

1. Pork butts don't care what temp you are smoking them at so feel free to let it ride high and I would suggest cranking it up. I do mine at 275F on the dot but you could do it higher if want. Again if you aren't burning it a pork butt won't care about the temp.

2. Your analog smoker is ready to go immediately with a PID controller if you want to be able hit and hold temps dead on or within a few degrees vs the big temp swings.
  • You plug the PID controller into the wall
  • Drop the PID temp probe down the MES vent and clip it to the center of the lowest rack so the PID can sense the smoker temp
  • Plug the MES Analog into the PID controller
  • Turn the MES Analog temp dial all the way open/max (so it doesn't restrict flow of electricity to the element)
  • Enter your smoker temp into the PID controller and you are done!
  • The PID Controller will take power from the wall, feed it to the MES plug/element to hit and hold at the temp you punched in, done!!
One final thing. As mentioned by the others, your MES Analog has zero insulation. Getting a welding blanket or mylar insulation sleeve, or rigging up some kind of insulation all around and on top will greatly help your smoker efficiency so it doesn't lose heat so quickly.

Finally, you aren't screwed. There is just some playing around and potential tweaks you can make to really crank out some great BBQ with what you have. Starting for now, feel free to crank up the temp and your pork but will be fine. Again a pork butt doesn't really care about the temp it's cooking at AND they are about the most forgiving cut of meat you can smoke. You got this! :D
Thanks for the encouragement!

I bumped up the temp when I woke up this morning and it hit 190 internal temp right at lunch time, so I was able to enjoy it then. I thought it was a little tough, but the flavor was good. It doesn't look even close to as good everything on here! Although, I got wife approval, so I guess I can call this a win :)

I'm curious your thoughts on selling this and getting a nicer pellet smoker? I really bought this one for relatively cheap ($90) on Facebook Marketplace to see if I would like smoking, and even though I had some issues it was a fun process!

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 18
Looks good, as far as going to pellet if you like more smoke flavor I think I might 2nd guess that, I have a mes 30 and then got a pitboss pellet, I personally get much better smoke flavor with my mes. Just my opinion.

Sounds great. I’ll look into this too! Would I still need the PID if I had a digital version?

Also one last question, it leaked sort of a lot out the door overnight. I’m assuming this is because I didn’t have it level? I need to figure out how to get it all off my patio now :)

Thanks for the encouragement!

I bumped up the temp when I woke up this morning and it hit 190 internal temp right at lunch time, so I was able to enjoy it then. I thought it was a little tough, but the flavor was good. It doesn't look even close to as good everything on here! Although, I got wife approval, so I guess I can call this a win :)

I'm curious your thoughts on selling this and getting a nicer pellet smoker? I really bought this one for relatively cheap ($90) on Facebook Marketplace to see if I would like smoking, and even though I had some issues it was a fun process!
No problem!

I imagine it was a little tough and I can explain why.
Pork Butt rules:
  1. It's done when it is tender, never by time or temp
  2. It is tender when you can stab all over with something like a wooden kabob skewer and it goes in without any resistance
    • At about 203-204F Internal Temp (IT) of the meat I check my pork butts for tenderness. The IT can tell you when to check but it can never tell you that it is actually done
  3. It doesn't care what temp you smoke it at as long as you aren't burning it so crank it up to finish faster and save time :D
I am 100% sure your pork butt was tough because it didn't cook long enough. The collagen tissue that keeps it tough breaks down over 190F over a period of time becoming juicy goodness and making the meat tender so that it shreds.
You pulled at 190F IT so not much time for the collagen to melt away.

I would definitely give a pork butt another shot with your current smoker and I bet you it comes out sooooo much better and lets you know if/how you want to move forward with another smoker, or if you want to continue practicing and cranking out great BBQ with this one :D

Let me know if this makes sense :D

If you get digital unit, you may or may not need a PID.
If you want to do summer sausage and such, where you are flirting with temps where the fat melts off and runs out of the sausage, a PID can be a HUGE help. The problem being the temp overshoot inherent to most all heated appliances. Temp swings without PID are often +/- 15 degrees and the temp accuracy isn't that great either. Together these factors can yield a less than desirable sausage. The PID is more accurate and holds far tighter temp swings, allowing better control and final product.
If you are just planning to do whole muscle meats i.e. pork butts, chicken, roast ect., the temps don't matter near as much. PID not usually needed.
MES units certainly are not without their faults, as mentioned above and a PID cures most of them.
Some units never run at the set temp. A remote thermometer is highly recommended. This will allow you to monitor the temps and temp swings and adjust the temp setting accordingly. Most of us have multi-probe therms so we can monitor the smoker temp and the meat temp at the same time.
Not trying to scare you off MES. I have one and absolutely love it. But I did mod it to overcome the inherent shortcomings of MES. I did my research and I knew what I was getting into when I got it.
You can make an MES perform like a $1,000 smoker for a lot less and use the savings to buy more meat to feed it.
I started with a stock MES and did mods and added PID as needed. One piece at a time. You might want to think about doing the same, no reason to buy all the goodies all at once to start.

I’m following this thread a learning a lot. Would the PID winter rider posted be a good choice for a digital masterbuilt 30”?

Is it really that easy? Plug the smoker into the PID and the PID to the outlet?
Thanks and hope I’m not hijacking too bad
Timber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky