newbie wants to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bikerbob

Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Ontario Canada
As the title states I know nothing about smoking; I am using a propane fired smoker

Are there any articles that explain how to start get the wood smoking (chunks vs chips; soaking vs non soak, wood started outside the smoker or inside)

I expect that most of this is pretty basic stuff; but as I have said I have no experience with smoking

Thanks

Bikerbob

You'll find lots of help on this site. I've been coming to this site for a long time and recently decided it's time I return what I know and learned from the folks here SMF. These guys know what they are doing.

Propane is good. Charcoal is better in terms of flavor and really understanding how the smoking process works. But either one is fine in my opinion.

For the propane you'll want to use chips. You should have a container of some kind or another that will hold the chips. I always soak because it slows down the burn and you get better, longer smoke from the small amount of wood you put in. Before I put the wet in, I always place a layer of dry chips in the bottom of the chip holder first to get the smoke process started.

Hope this helps.

Happy smiking!!

What kind of propane smoker is it? I would start with some chicken ( smokes fairly quick and inexpensive if you mess it up. ) I have a propane smoker and use only chunks. Chips burn up way too fast. The soaking or not debate can, will, and still goes on for days before we all agree to disagree. I personally don't soak, I have and have seen no benefit of it.

Thanks Dave for the reply

I will be purchasing a Master-built XL come this Wednesday; wished it had double doors; but it is all that is available here

Looks like chicken it is; Thanks again

Use the handy search bar and enter" master built xl mods" and you may find some ways to make your unit even better than it is. You could also do a butt for your first smoke. They are also hard to mess up but take much longer to cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky