Newbie Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Snippet9192

Original poster
Aug 23, 2023
Eastern NC
Hello all. Newbie smoker from eastern NC here. I’ve always been interested in cooking, but recently got the urge to try my hand at smoking. I have a 40“ Masterbuilt smoker on the way to get my feet wet. I figured this would be a relatively inexpensive way to see if I enjoyed the process before spending more on something nicer. Any tips, tricks or recipes would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello all. Newbie smoker from eastern NC here. I’ve always been interested in cooking, but recently got the urge to try my hand at smoking. I have a 40“ Masterbuilt smoker on the way to get my feet wet. I figured this would be a relatively inexpensive way to see if I enjoyed the process before spending more on something nicer. Any tips, tricks or recipes would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the arena, From S. florida. It's always good to minimize investment until you're sure the kin folk are going to dig your creations. I started on a MES30, which I have nursed through and is still functional. I have since bought almost one of each type of smoker. I've finally been enlightened to the Weber Smokey Mountain, which is now my primary smoke device.
Regarding your MES 40. I'm not sure if your 40 has the pull out tube to add more chips or not.
If you are finding yourself running low on smoke or not getting the smokiness you desire, I would look into a device similar to this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Realcook-Pel...locphy=9011865&hvtargid=pla-964399836851&th=1

I still use my MES30 for quickies like pork belly for bacon, or yard bird for Brunswick stew,
If you get stuck, just holler.

Reactions: Snippet9192
Hello I'm new to this site! I would say for a beginner you should try jerky first. Doing casings with sausages can be tricky until you get the hang of it. I love smoking cheese and I even smoked a cake one time, needless to say it wasn't that great tasting but it was fun!

Reactions: Snippet9192

I also have a 40" MES. Main thing is : DO NOT use the chip tray! Soaking chips produces rancid smoke and dry ones don't produce smoke well. Invest in a 12" A-MAZE-N smoker tube and use pellets. A full tube is good for 4 hours of nice wispy smoke - just right for boston butt . You'll want to pull the chip tube out at least part way or all the way out if there is no wind. Slide the smoking tube of pellets in on the bottom rack by the chip tray opening to catch a little of the draft coming in to keep pellets from going out. A single Boston butt would be placed on the top rack. I pull mine at the 4-hour mark, put in a 2-inch deep 9×13 cake pan and cover tightly with foil. Either put back in the smoker or oven at 225 again until it reaches 195 internal temp. Pull out, vent and let sit about 15 minutes. Pour off juices into a quart container, the re-cover while still venting for about an hour before pulling the pork.
Pro tip: Use Bear Claws to shred pork. Skim fat off top of juice and add 8-12 oz. of the juice back into the shredded pulled pork. You're welcome!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky