My smoker and intro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tommie_a

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 25, 2023
🇬🇧
Hi all, just signed up, thought I’d say hi 👋 I’m Tom from Watford, England.

I’ve been into grilling for about 5 or 6 years, got multiple Weber’s; a classic kettle, 2x go anywhere’s, and a Smokey joe.

Over covid I decided to cut up a gas bottle and my interest in smoking meats started. I’m by no means a professional welder as you can see 😂 but really enjoyed making this… thought I’d post some pics. It originally was just the gas bottle on its side being used as a normal bbq but recently decided to add the fire box. I can still use it as a normal grille but thought I’d would be nice to have the option to smoke too

IMG_3839.jpeg

I lined the fire box with cement board, seems to keep the temp in well, the rope around the door helps too, no smoke leaking anywhere

IMG_3852.jpeg

At the start

IMG_8202.jpeg

One thing I might change is the position of the chimney and make it central as the left side of the grille seemed to get noticeably hotter on my probes last night than the right side, would you say this is a good idea? Many thanks and look forward to catching some tips on here

Last edited:
Deleted as I couldn’t figure out how to add pics. Above post now edited

Last edited:
Deleted as I couldn’t figure out how to add pics. Above post now edited

Last edited:
Welcome from Nova Scotia.

No help with the chimney placement, but some of the builders on the site might be around to help you with that.

Glad you joined , this is a great place for some show and tell, and a little fun along the way.

David

Reactions: Tommie_a
Greetings Tom, and welcome to the group from New Mexico, USA.
Nice work on the build.
Sorry, I can't help with chimney placement either.

Welcome from Colorado. Have you thought about adding a baffle plate below? You could seal the end of the baffle that contains the chimney and leave the end away from the chimney open. It’s sort of a RF option, but it would likely even out temperatures. Fun build.

That is a cool looking build. I agree with chp chp A deflector plate that directs the smoke and heat to the left and then it has to come back to the right for the exhaust. But I'm no builder so I'm kinda talking out of my hat.
Welcome from Mississippi. Look forward to more post and pics.

Greetings Tom, and welcome to the group from New Mexico, USA.
Nice work on the build.
Sorry, I can't help with chimney placement either.

Welcome from Nova Scotia.

No help with the chimney placement, but some of the builders on the site might be around to help you with that.

Glad you joined , this is a great place for some show and tell, and a little fun along the way.

David

That’s ok thanks guys! I’m not going to worry about it too much, was holding a steady 130c on the left side, will do a chicken in there on the bank holiday and see what happens!

Welcome from Colorado. Have you thought about adding a baffle plate below? You could seal the end of the baffle that contains the chimney and leave the end away from the chimney open. It’s sort of a RF option, but it would likely even out temperatures. Fun build.

That is a cool looking build. I agree with chp chp A deflector plate that directs the smoke and heat to the left and then it has to come back to the right for the exhaust. But I'm no builder so I'm kinda talking out of my hat.
Welcome from Mississippi. Look forward to more post and pics.

Great idea, there is a damper on the 6” pipe that goes from the fire box to the cook chamber, if I spin that second around quarter turn clockwise I could use the damper in that way! (I think!) Thanks for the info guys

Reactions: JLeonard
Tommie_a Tommie_a had another thought....Not sure of the spacing between the inlet from the pipe to the grate. But you might try a rectangle shaped cookie sheet to use as a deflector. Cheap experiment to see how it changes things.

Jim

Tommie_a Tommie_a had another thought....Not sure of the spacing between the inlet from the pipe to the grate. But you might try a rectangle shaped cookie sheet to use as a deflector. Cheap experiment to see how it changes things.

Jim

Jim thanks for this, I’m definatley going to try and have a go at some deflection of the heat as you guys have said. That would no doubt help with larger meats too as I could sit them in the centre of the grille, I was a bit worried about the direct heat hitting the meat otherwise, so I was planning on having to place smaller meats to both sides of the chamber. I really like these ideas thank you all!

IMG_3858.png

Something like this might work as it’s 6inch would slot straight in, I’d maybe have to raise the grill up a bit but that’s fine

Hi all, just signed up, thought I’d say hi 👋 I’m Tom from Watford, England.

I’ve been into grilling for about 5 or 6 years, got multiple Weber’s; a classic kettle, 2x go anywhere’s, and a Smokey joe.

Over covid I decided to cut up a gas bottle and my interest in smoking meats started. I’m by no means a professional welder as you can see 😂 but really enjoyed making this… thought I’d post some pics. It originally was just the gas bottle on its side being used as a normal bbq but recently decided to add the fire box. I can still use it as a normal grille but thought I’d would be nice to have the option to smoke too

View attachment 674413

I lined the fire box with cement board, seems to keep the temp in well, the rope around the door helps too, no smoke leaking anywhere

View attachment 674414

At the start

View attachment 674415
One thing I might change is the position of the chimney and make it central as the left side of the grille seemed to get noticeably hotter on my probes last night than the right side, would you say this is a good idea? Many thanks and look forward to catching some tips on here
Hello! I can't say I'll be any help with building smokers, but if you've ever got recipe questions give me a holler. Good luck with your adventure!

Jim

Hi Jim in theory do you think the above ducting grille I posted may work? Thinking if I drop it into the 6” pipe it may do something like this 😅

IMG_3839.jpeg

Failing that I may try the cookie sheet.. just a bit worried I might not get any smoke and heat underneath the meat if I use too big of a deflector… I Spose I can only give it a go eh

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky