Newbie smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome thanks, I’m going to give that thread a read then plan out a turkey smoke of my own.

Agree Re: having to adapt - life will be a lot easier when we have legit smokers!
I have a couple old WSMs; that is actually my "new" kettle. I found in the side of the road this past fall, lol. Vents completely rusted out, stuck. I know kettles though and can cook just as well as I can on my well-kept one. I just use a little more foil (vents)

Reactions: MCQSmoker
I have a couple old WSMs; that is actually my "new" kettle. I found in the side of the road this past fall, lol. Vents completely rusted out, stuck. I know kettles though and can cook just as well as I can on my well-kept one. I just use a little more foil (vents)

it looks like you’re smashing out some top work with them either way - looking forward to seeing some of your future cooks!

Reactions: Hamdrew
it looks like you’re smashing out some top work with them either way - looking forward to seeing some of your future cooks!
much appreciated and eager to post them!

all ya gotta do is know what temperature fire looks like, airflow/rollin' coals and youre good. lol helps to have some solid, BIG (fires hot, lol) grillware-
KIMG0379.jpg
~8" wide

KIMG0504.jpg
and i can carry slabs of ribs on this bad boy easy. lol

I've been using this for a long time with minor variations: Oklahoma Joe's Rib Rub Generally folks eating forgo any sauces I have out because they really don't need them! Good luck!

just gave it a whirl and it tastes pretty spot on. I made a half batch then eased up on the cumin when I doubled up. Thanks for the recommendation, going on my ribs tomorrow!

Attachments

• FD4816EF-1E14-49E7-989A-EA8BC3517FDD.jpeg
    FD4816EF-1E14-49E7-989A-EA8BC3517FDD.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: travisntexas
Welcome from Nova Scotia,
Your ribs look great
I'm new here also and new to smoking, just did my first ribs yesterday....came out great
cold here lately so i built a building for smoker

David

Attachments

• DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG
    DSC_2133 - Copy (2).JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC_2149.JPG
    DSC_2149.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_2165.JPG
    DSC_2165.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 12
Welcome from Nova Scotia,
Your ribs look great
I'm new here also and new to smoking, just did my first ribs yesterday....came out great
cold here lately so i built a building for smoker

David

Thanks David!

wow, your ribs look impressive and that building is incredible!! That’s excellent, you’ll have some fun with that

Thanks MCQSmoker,
we had 2 nice days last week so built the shack, than few days to fix up the inside. Still adding things
now to play and add weight on ha ha
That’s the way to do it! Didn’t take you long to get the shack up. Good work, looking forward to seeing the cooks you get from it

Ha Ha thanks, I have 5 sheds around the yard for different things, wife says they are going to have an intervention for me to stop building sheds
Thanks Wurstmeister , just put the shelves in it yesterday, going to install heat shields behind the smoker even though it did not get hot on the last 2 smokes
MCQSmoker, will do, i thinking chicken for the next smoke, searching on here for ideas right now

Yup--good looking first cooks. They don't look like a newbie cook.
Good luck choosing a new smoker.
I'm new here, also--been Smokin' with a WSM for two years and just bought an Oklahoma Joe's Highland.
So far its challenging managing the fire, but dang is it fun cooking with wood and the smells are awesome.
Welcome from Oklahoma.

Yup--good looking first cooks. They don't look like a newbie cook.
Good luck choosing a new smoker.
I'm new here, also--been Smokin' with a WSM for two years and just bought an Oklahoma Joe's Highland.
So far its challenging managing the fire, but dang is it fun cooking with wood and the smells are awesome.
Welcome from Oklahoma.

Thank you! Have fun with your new bit of kit!

Reactions: Settertude Smokin'
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky