Newbie Smoker in search of advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Congrats on a GREAT buy!! You'r gonna live it.
As for the AMNPS (pellet tray) absolutely. Todd designed the AMNPS specifically for the MES 30 Gen 1. It fits on the rack just to the left of the chip tray. Personally I could never keep it burning there--just not enough air supply. So I ended up doing the Mailbox Mod (lots of info here so just do a search) and now it works perfectly.
Lots of others haven't had to do this si you'll just have to play that by ear.
John @bearcaver is the acknowledged expert on all MES. I just alerted him so he'll be here soon. He has some easy and cheap mods that will make your MES work like a charm.
BTW where in Alberta are you?? You haven't filled in your profile info yet.
Gary

Hi Gary, I enddd up getting the 40” digital electronic MES one that I posted the link above. However, I’m not sure if I can find something capatible to use pellets instead of chips, perhaps you or bearcaver may know? I live in Edmonton, but go to some friends cabins often so I wanted something I can transport easily about so we can smoke on weekend trips.

May be a stupid question, but does anyone know if I would just be able to toss a pellet in the wood chip tray? Or would the heat not distribute evenly to allow it to burn properly?

If my memory serves me correctly yors is a Gen 2.5. Thats an excellent smoker.
I've tried burning pellets in the chip tray. I've never had any luck doing that. If you want to use pellets I would strongly recommend buying an AMNPS--one of Todd's Amazen Pellet trays (5 x 7 inch) . You can find one at:
Barbeque Country
5682--75 St
Edm
This is the only place in Edmonton I've found them. They also sell Amazen Pellets but the selection of woods is very limited. Right next to them is a good selection of BBQer's Delight pellets in 1 pound bags. Very good pellets.
I've never used a MES 40 GEN 2.5 so I'm not familiar with just ehere to place the AMNPS in them.
John Bearcarver Bearcarver had a lot of input in the development of the 2.5 and he's very knowledgeable about them. He should now be along to help bring you up dt speed on this.
Gary

Reactions: Ethos
If my memory serves me correctly yors is a Gen 2.5. Thats an excellent smoker.
I've tried burning pellets in the chip tray. I've never had any luck doing that. If you want to use pellets I would strongly recommend buying an AMNPS--one of Todd's Amazen Pellet trays (5 x 7 inch) . You can find one at:
Barbeque Country
5682--75 St
Edm
This is the only place in Edmonton I've found them. They also sell Amazen Pellets but the selection of woods is very limited. Right next to them is a good selection of BBQer's Delight pellets in 1 pound bags. Very good pellets.
I've never used a MES 40 GEN 2.5 so I'm not familiar with just ehere to place the AMNPS in them.
John Bearcarver Bearcarver had a lot of input in the development of the 2.5 and he's very knowledgeable about them. He should now be along to help bring you up dt speed on this.
Gary

Wow, thank you so very much Gary! I really appreciate your help! I actually bought a BBQ at Barbque Country over the summer and the guys there are very knowledgeable. I'll make a trip out there this week before my Smoker arrives. Would you say the BBQer's Delight pellets are on par with the Amazen pellets? Also, how many pellets do you put in at a time do you reckon? Thanks again for all your help!

If I can't find Amazen pellets my go to brand is BBQers Delight. I've never had a problem with them.
As for how many pellets--you should get 8 to 10 hours from a full tray. If you don't burn all the pellets that you load just separate the unburned oellets and save them for next time. For short smokes I usually just load 1 row. You'll learn pretty quick how much to load in.
Gary

If I can't find Amazen pellets my go to brand is BBQers Delight. I've never had a problem with them.
As for how many pellets--you should get 8 to 10 hours from a full tray. If you don't burn all the pellets that you load just separate the unburned oellets and save them for next time. For short smokes I usually just load 1 row. You'll learn pretty quick how much to load in.
Gary

Thanks again Gary, you've been a tremendous help! One last question, I read somewhere online that some people light their pellets on fire with a torch, and once they catch fire you blow them out and place them in the tray before starting your smoke, do you do this as well?

Absolutely!! Here's my MO.
--measure out amount of pellets req'd
--microwave twice for 2 mins each, stirring oellets around on plate between turns
--put pellets in AMNPS
--Use torch to get pellets burning well at one end
--let pellets burn for 10 mins
--blow out flames
--blow into the lit end until you have a real good cherry gliwing
--blow out any flames
--put AMNPS in mailbox or MES
This works perfectly about 99.9% of the time
Gary

OhOh. That's not good is it
Gary

Well, There are a few things that can be done to make it work properly.
I recommend pulling out the stupid slanted drip tray.
Then put the bottom rack in.
Put a 9 X 11 foil pan on the center of that bottom rack as a drip pan.
Put the AMNPS on the right end of that bottom rack, above the chip dumper hole.
Pull Chip dumper out for more air flow to the AMNPS, or push in for less.

Bear

There's a Country Hearth and Home fireplace shop down the street from me that sells the bbqr's delight 100% wood on the bag 1lbrs. for $3.50. I've tried many as a sampler. They're all great. I like the Jack Daniel's Sugar Maple charcoal they drip the whiskey through with oak blend (black pellets.) This is how it's described on the bag but conflicts with others saying the charcoal is from the interior chard oak Jack Daniel barrel. I like the flavor and will be getting their $16.00 20lbr.
-Kurt
Gary

That Jack Daniels "Old No. 7" is my favorite for chickens. Used it before in chip form on my Kamado. Now I'm adding an electric MES 40 (5315) smoker. I tried using pellets but quickly learned that they catch fire. I find that you only need a few like maybe 15-18 pellets (if that) to get some decent smoke going. If you use the recommended 1/2 cup, expect flames.

Just got my AMNPS and I'll be moving quickly to it.

Update: Chicken was only good, not great (and it's always great on the Kamado) Not much smoke flavor. Done with experimenting with pellets in the MES burner. Next time I'll just use the AMNPS to start with.

Last edited:
That Jack Daniels "Old No. 7" is my favorite for chickens. Used it before in chip form on my Kamado. Now I'm adding an electric MES 40 (5315) smoker. I tried using pellets but quickly learned that they catch fire. I find that you only need a few like maybe 15-18 pellets (if that) to get some decent smoke going. If you use the recommended 1/2 cup, expect flames.

Just got my AMNPS and I'll be moving quickly to it.

Update: Chicken was only good, not great (and it's always great on the Kamado) Not much smoke flavor. Done with experimenting with pellets in the MES burner. Next time I'll just use the AMNPS to start with.

I didn't have great success with pellets, I used a torch to get them going, blew them out until I achieved a nice cherry, but I found they didn't really work well. Wood chips are a lot more work, but I had more success with them when I smoked some ribs yesterday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky