Newbie Question ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

putz8

Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Chicagoland area
I just purchased an MES with the water and chip pan on the bottom. My question is instead of putting water in the water pan putting a couple of charcoal briguettes in there, and put a disposable dip pan filled with water on the bottom rack, I would fill the chip pan with chips. I understand charcoal gives a good taste and bark, and I also wondered if the coals would bring to much heat. Being a newbie I understand there's no such thing as a dumb question...right ?
icon_wink.gif
 Any Ideas!?
usa.gif

To get the charcoal flavor you might try crushing a briquette and adding it to the wood chips. However, I tried this once and it is a pain! Use the water pan for water or flavoured water, such as adding some of your rub to it. Many people just fill it with sand and wrap in foil to act as a heat sink. If you put water in it, wrap in foil first. This helps with clean up!

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky