Ad-Free Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bluesmoke214

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Nov 1, 2022
I am a newbie to the Forum but not to the website. Gotta admit that all the advertising popups flashing on the screen, and the come-and-go videos give me a giant headache.

My question is this: If I spring for ad-free I understand that applies to the website, but does it apply to the Forum? Right now, I see so much c**p on my screen it's difficult to navigate around the site.

Does ad-free apply to the forum? TIA.

I am a newbie to the Forum but not to the website. Gotta admit that all the advertising popups flashing on the screen, and the come-and-go videos give me a giant headache.

My question is this: If I spring for ad-free I understand that applies to the website, but does it apply to the Forum? Right now, I see so much c**p on my screen it's difficult to navigate around the site.

Does ad-free apply to the forum? TIA.

Yes, you will be virtually ad free on this forum

Dude yes! For the price of a take out meal you get rid of the ads for a year. Well worth it!

Jim

Okay...I'm in! Now, I have another question.

I have a collection of dry rubs and the like. Probably 30 or so different products in dry form. This morning I got out my Real Salt to prepare ribeyes for a dry brine. I hadn't used the salt in a couple of weeks, and I have others I haven't used in weeks or months.

The issue is the salt had gotten all glommed together. I had to bang it around to get some loose. I checked some of my other rubs and they were also stuck together.

I remember restaurants putting grains of rice in their salt dispensers to keep it from sticking together. What do you Forum members do? Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
I don't have the issue as I live in a desert environment, so I'm assuming you live in a high humidity location.

I think rice or crackers should do the job.
The Oyster Crackers (small & round) should work for small containers.

Last edited:
You can just grind it up but certainly the quality of the spices will have degraded. Ive used soda cracker or rice as my grandma always did. Best solution is likely food grade silica desiccant packs. Amazon has them and they are pretty inexpensive from what I recall.

Reactions: mosparky
I think we all have that same problem, I solved a lot of it by using granulated garlic & onion, instead of powder. I also make smaller batches & vac pack them in mason jars. Hope this helps!
Al

I think we all have that same problem, I solved a lot of it by using granulated garlic & onion, instead of powder. I also make smaller batches & vac pack them in mason jars. Hope this helps!
Al
and to add to what Al said I use turbinado sugar any time I can in place of brown sugar. In rubs you can use turbinado in the same amount as brown sugar the other thing about it is it doesn't burn as easy

Reactions: SmokinAl
and to add to what Al said I use turbinado sugar any time I can in place of brown sugar. In rubs you can use turbinado in the same amount as brown sugar the other thing about it is it doesn't burn as easy
Thanks Piney!
I use turbinado sugar too, should have thought of that! Getting old!
Al

You can just grind it up but certainly the quality of the spices will have degraded. Ive used soda cracker or rice as my grandma always did. Best solution is likely food grade silica desiccant packs. Amazon has them and they are pretty inexpensive from what I recall.
Good ideas...thanks!

Al
Very helpful...thanks for the response. Good to know I'm not the only one with glommy rubs!

Okay...I'm in! Now, I have another question.

I have a collection of dry rubs and the like. Probably 30 or so different products in dry form. This morning I got out my Real Salt to prepare ribeyes for a dry brine. I hadn't used the salt in a couple of weeks, and I have others I haven't used in weeks or months.

The issue is the salt had gotten all glommed together. I had to bang it around to get some loose. I checked some of my other rubs and they were also stuck together.

I remember restaurants putting grains of rice in their salt dispensers to keep it from sticking together. What do you Forum members do? Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks!
I use Kosher Salt for all my smoking related cooking and a lot of my other cooking.
I saw you are not new to smoking or SMF but hope you have seen all the posts about "enablers" the ones who like to spend YOUR money :emoji_laughing: with that being said I hope you have gotten a vacuum sealer not only for storing rubs and such as Al and Steve have said but also for many other things like freezing leftovers. We try to buy meat while it's on sale and that usually comes in "family packs" We then break them down into portions we can use then vacuum seal and into the freezer.

Reactions: Steve H
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky