SV SS question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkc64

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 7, 2011
Portland, TN.
I have read lots of posts here about SV summer sausage. Lots of good info but I can't seem to put together a step by step. All seem to smoke for a period of time then drop in a 152 degree SV for X minutes. I guess my main question is do you bring the bath up to temp before dropping the SS in or treat it like a smoker and slowly bring the water temp with the SS in it. The hand full of times I have tried with the water up to temp I get fat out.

Reactions: JLeonard
I would bring temp up first, what type of smoker are you using? fat out means to high of temp, step method in the smoker is recommended, most pellet smokers run too hot to do sausages, this is where the electric smokers shine 100-275 is pretty easy to maintain.

Bring the water up to temp first .
Do you have the time and temp charts ?
My opinion is that 152 is to high . I use 140 and go by the size of the chub to figure the time in the bath .
I stopped using SV to finish SS . Just doesn't work for me , but if you want to use that method I would get the chart and use that for a lower cook temp .

I only SV when I'm short on time. I installed a fan in my smoker which cut my smoking time way down.

Like said start your SV and get to temp first before adding your SS.

What did you add in for a fan ? Curiosity mainly.
Auber instruments circulation fan for electric smokers.

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG

Reactions: Winterrider
I have a Snoopy like BGKYSmoker BGKYSmoker has. I bookmarked his 2017 thread to rewire for a Auber PID and think will go that route and also ordered the fan kit.

I have read lots of posts here about SV summer sausage. Lots of good info but I can't seem to put together a step by step. All seem to smoke for a period of time then drop in a 152 degree SV for X minutes. I guess my main question is do you bring the bath up to temp before dropping the SS in or treat it like a smoker and slowly bring the water temp with the SS in it. The hand full of times I have tried with the water up to temp I get fat out.
Everyone is going to have a different variation because we all do things slightly different. In my case we have very low humidity usually teens and twenties, so for sausage I try not to stay in smoke longer than about 5 hours otherwise the casings can get very dried out. I start smoke at about 120* and let it creep up to about 140* after 5 hours the IT of my sausage is generally around 120*. My SV is set to 151* and pre heated, the sausage goes in and is at 151* IT in about 15 minutes for hog and beef middle casings. For 3” casings it takes about 30 minutes and 4” bologna takes about 45 minutes. Water is a super conductor of heat unlike air so if you are starting with a sausage IT of around 120* it does not take long for the water bath to finish them, but I always finish to IT never to time alone.

Also I have found collagen casings to leak and take on water easily. So I be sure to tie a bubble knot on each end, this helps a lot, fibrous casings too. Sometimes the taking in of water can be mistaken as fat out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky