Newb here, saying hey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smee73

Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
Hello all, hope all had a nice Christmas and New Year, got a vertical smoker for Christmas from kids, went with pork loin for first effort. Turned out awesome accidentally...... Family wants roast next, will start in morning and shoot for 145-150 IT, since they don't like mooing.

Reactions: JC in GB and SonnyE
Hi Smee73.
Welcome to
small-logo.png

What brand smoker did they get for you?
Sounds like a great start!

Masterbuilt MDS 230S, I like that it is duel fuel, but no way in hell I would use charcoal in it's tiny tray. I did go ahead and get a cast iron pan to put the wood into so it doesn't catch fire instantly, the pork loin ended up like I said, accidentally awesome

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to the board, happy to have ya join.

Chris

Thanks for the well wishes, did the roast today, turned out like this
20190106_165022.jpg

Moist as hell, I would have liked ailittle more rare but family loved it

Hello and Welcome from East Texas

Gary

Masterbuilt MDS 230S, I like that it is duel fuel, but no way in hell I would use charcoal in it's tiny tray. I did go ahead and get a cast iron pan to put the wood into so it doesn't catch fire instantly, the pork loin ended up like I said, accidentally awesome
Smee73, I am in the same boat, just picked up a MasterBuilt 230S and looking to mod the chip tray. Do you have a picture of the way you have yours set up?

Austin, I just boyght a cast iron pan and set it on the chip tray, 11 inch I think it is

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky