New WSM Owner in The House!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

caveman

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oh yeah. It's my B-day, Happy B-day to me!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
icon_cool.gif
So, after I took care of a family emergency last month, (you may or may not remember the post about my pending WSM purchase), I had WSM dollars. Woo-Hoo! I ran down to a little place called "Bay's Hardware" in Seal Beach, Ca., & purchased my 22.5 Weber Mountain Smoker. I had called around & no one had any in stock. Well, the first four places I called anyway. So I get this nice lady on the phone & she is like, "Yes, we have two of them. One on display & one still in the box." I of course I want the brand spanking new one in the box so I told her to put it on hold for me. I go to the store after a quick shower, make the purchase & this young kid comes out from the back with this "HUGE" box on a dolley. I am thinking, crap, I need a small pickup truck for this thing. He wheels it out to the street where I am parked & we try the back seat as the trunk was entirely out of the question. No joy. The front seat was not an option so I open the box & put the top & bottom pieces on the back seat. It is full. The middle compartment is in the front. It is full. Everything else went into the trunk. This thing is "HUGE". Okay, I get home, unload the car, make a chicken sandwich from some smoked grilled chicken I did earlier in the week, (you saw the qview), & take a quick nap. Then off to work. 8 hours go by. I can't wait to get home at 12:15 AM PST. Finally, at home & wifey is awake & giving B-day wishes & gifts.
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
Finally, time to put my behemoth together. Break out the manual, start checking parts &
mad.gif
mad.gif
What The????? I am missing the heat shield. No way. The heat shield??
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif
Are you kidding me?
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
The heat shield is the critical component to putting this thing together. Okay, let's be honest, without it, you will burn concrete. But hey, I just dropped 4 big ones on this thing. I want my heat shield. It is now 3:00 AM & being angry, mad, upset or dis-appointed is just a waste of energy. So I go back upstairs with my long face & wifey is like, "What's wrong?"
icon_cry.gif
I tell her & she makes the sad long look go away. (Again?? I am not a machine!!
eek.gif
But it is all good.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
) (Wifey's. What would we do without them?) I figure, Weber is on CST so I need to call at 5:00 PST to reach someone. I am compelled to wait up as it is my B-day & I want my WSM up & running tonight. I call Weber, promptly at 5 & talk to the nicest customer service rep I have had the pleasure to speak to in some time. After a fifteen minute conversation, which included registering my product, the deal is done. I will go back to the hardware store, aquire the heat shield on their display model & Weber will send the replacement to the store. Works for me. So, time for bed. Two hours into a dream I won't go into on this forum, the phone rings. It is relatives with B-day wishes & songs. (They are so funny.) I can't get back to sleep now. The hardware place opens when???? Did I get the time? Aw crap. I take a shower & call them. The arraignment I made with Weber is okay with them. Hmph. It better be. Okay, drive to Seal Beach, again, get the part, quick grocery shopping for items wifey is going to make my German Chocolate Cake with, plus side dishes for dinner, come home. Neighbor wants to make breakfast & chat. Fine. It's my B-day. We have grilled cheese sandwiches & chat. I keep looking at my watch. Finally come home & get online to post. Phew. Can you say, "Dragging my butt?" Okay, I woke up at what time again?? Oh yeah, 3 PM, Thursday afternoon to go to work. Geez, where has the time gone. Okay, time to put this thing together, take a nap, wake up, take pictures & then put something on & smoke it. Happy B-day to me!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

LOL... happy Birthday bud! Yeah I should have mentioned in my post when I got mine that I barely, barely, barely got that huge a$$ box to fit into my minivan with the 3rd row seat folded flat.... lol. It really is a BIG box.... and a BIG smoker!
biggrin.gif

Somebody call my wife and tell her i want one for my birthday!

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I'm sure it will all work out fine. You'll be enjoying your new bundle of joy in no time
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Happy birthday and congratulations on the WSM. You are gonna love it is all I can say.

I know when the UPS guy got mine off the truck I about fell over.. that was a BIG box.

Then he had to say it... "you gonna be doing some cooking?" I had to stop myself from saying, "Here's your sign!!"
biggrin.gif

Thank you Sir.

Thank you & it was more than one, if ya know what I mean.
biggrin.gif

Thank you Sir. Let the qview, roll.

northern greenhorn;479812 said:
Caveman, you made me laugh so hard, congrats on the new wsm, looking forward to your qview, and again Happy Birthday
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
[/quote

I am glad you enjoyed my saga. It was so comical to me that I had to laugh. Thank you Sir.

Thank you Sir. I am glad too.

Thank you again Sir. I thought is was funny too so I shared.

Huge is an under statement. But it was all good. I really felt the need to share. Glad everyone got a laugh because I sure did. Thank you Sir.

Give me the number & I will hook you up with the call.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Don't be sorry as it did work out. It just turned out to be a longer than normal day / night.

Thank you Sir.

Thank you Sir.

You know, that box was so big, after I broke it down, I still couldn't get it in my car. Geez. But I do love it & plan on looking forward to plenty of good smokes. Thank you Sir.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky