New to smoking... Little confusing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabbit23

Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Hi guys, Meat smoking rookie here with a question about finalizing. I understand the idea of foil once a certain temp is reached (as meat continues to cook once it's taken off the heat), but I see a lot of people on here suggesting foil and then wrapping in towels and placing in a cooler. What exactly is the point of this? Is it simply to keep it out of the elements? Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is known as the resting period, not so much about continuing to cook but a chance for the meat to reabsorb the juices back into the fibers of the meat. It makes the meat juicier and more tender. I like to rest my Butts for at least an hour. If you wrap in towels and place in a cooler you can keep your meat hot for several hours. I have an old down coat I use and I can keep my meat hot in the cooler for at least 6 hours or so.

It give the meat a chance to relax and pull the moisture   back in to the meat I believe.

EDIT:  im to slow today
icon_lol.gif

Last edited:
I rest my finished meat in an aluminum pan and then foil the top and put in an oven (not on) to rest for awhile, for sometimes 5 hours and the meat is still very hot. Then you can drain the au ju from the pan and use or freeze for later use.

RP 

Foiling and wrapping in towels and placing in a cooler is usually done when the meat is finished, but dinner time is still a couple hours away.

You do it mostly for butts and briskets.  Ribs run the risk of oversteaming and falling off the bone if left in the foil/towel/cooler too long.

It helps to allow yourself plenty of extra time to get butts and briskets done, since the cooking time can vary.  Cooking time on ribs usually does not vary if you are doing 3-2-1 or 2-2-1.  You can ususlly  depend on ribs being ready at a particular time. 

I like to have my butts done and foil/towel/cooler them 3 hours ahead of dinner time.  That gives me time to clean up, prepare sides, finish ribs,socialize.

Then when its about dinner time unwap the butts, pull and serve.

welcome1.gif
   Glad to have you with us!

Sounds like you have your answer.

Now if you would, please go over to the roll call section & introduce yourself so we can all give you a proper SMF welcome!

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I have a much better understanding now.

This is known as the resting period, not so much about continuing to cook but a chance for the meat to reabsorb the juices back into the fibers of the meat. It makes the meat juicier and more tender. I like to rest my Butts for at least an hour. If you wrap in towels and place in a cooler you can keep your meat hot for several hours. I have an old down coat I use and I can keep my meat hot in the cooler for at least 6 hours or so.
X2

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky