New to smoking but not to cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cool Joe

Original poster
Nov 5, 2020
Joe here from PA just a little north of Philadelphia, new to smoking but have extensive cooking experience. Neighbor put out an Oklahoma Joe combo in the trash so I took it and stripped it down sanded and primed and painted replaced the thermometers etc. Anyway it looks great and I have Jeff's book "Smoking Meat" read it and also read "Smoking with Myron Mixon" it gave me some great info on how to start smoking. I did a thick rope country sausage first as a test run it came out good very tasty nice smoke ring but a little crisp. Then I did a Boston Butt it seems like it would be a nice next step and from reading the books it may be more forgiving than some other cuts. It came out great as far as taste after I pulled it, had a very thick bark that was inedible and as far as I know it is supposed to be edible. As I said the pulled pork from it was great next I just did a couple racks of ribs they tasted great also but I cooked them bone down and there was another burnt crust on the bottom luckily there isn't any meat on that side but it doesn't seem right. Normally I would just assume that the heat was too high but it seems like something else, I did range from 230-260 F . So if anyone has any advice I don't know if I am using too much smoke or maybe not heating properly, I am using all wood no gas or propane so let me know if you think I need to do something different that I'm not getting from Jeff's book thanks and I'll talk to you all soon.

Reactions: JC in GB
Welcome to SMF from South Carolina. I would like to think your meat may be too close to the firebox if you are getting charred bark but you could have other issues as well. Are you reading temp at the grate level or on the dome gauge? Are you getting thin blue smoke or heavy white smoke? I burnt a couple of prices of chicken in my OK Joe Highland on my first cook due to them being close to the fire box wall. Keep experimenting and asking for advice and you’ll be churning out good Q before you know it.

Adam

Reactions: Cool Joe and TNJAKE
As tag mentioned check grate temp, and consider position in the cooker. Also it could be what you're using for rub, heavy sugars will darken/burn. A thick bark on butts are usually desired when mixed in with the inner portions of the butt (i love that bark with moist meat), it might be a preference thing.

Reactions: Cool Joe
Joe here from PA just a little north of Philadelphia, new to smoking but have extensive cooking experience. Neighbor put out an Oklahoma Joe combo in the trash so I took it and stripped it down sanded and primed and painted replaced the thermometers etc. Anyway it looks great and I have Jeff's book "Smoking Meat" read it and also read "Smoking with Myron Mixon" it gave me some great info on how to start smoking. I did a thick rope country sausage first as a test run it came out good very tasty nice smoke ring but a little crisp. Then I did a Boston Butt it seems like it would be a nice next step and from reading the books it may be more forgiving than some other cuts. It came out great as far as taste after I pulled it, had a very thick bark that was inedible and as far as I know it is supposed to be edible. As I said the pulled pork from it was great next I just did a couple racks of ribs they tasted great also but I cooked them bone down and there was another burnt crust on the bottom luckily there isn't any meat on that side but it doesn't seem right. Normally I would just assume that the heat was too high but it seems like something else, I did range from 230-260 F . So if anyone has any advice I don't know if I am using too much smoke or maybe not heating properly, I am using all wood no gas or propane so let me know if you think I need to do something different that I'm not getting from Jeff's book thanks and I'll talk to you all soon.

Did you use regular sugar or brown sugar? If so that could be your problem....use turbinado sugar/ sugar in the raw.

You will pick it up quickly after all it's just another way to cook so use your cooking skills ,smell, taste, texture and go for it. Oh, and don't get all crazy with holding steady temps a swing of 20-40* isn't going to hurt a thing in most cases. Start with pork butts and learn how to control temps. Buy a good instant read thermo and a remote thermo that has at least two meat probes. I highly recommend Inkbird brand check them out on Amazon they work just as good of better than the big money brands.

The key is to have fun with it and let us know if we can help.
Best of luck.
Dan

these guys pretty well have ya covered so I'll just say ... welcome from Iowa!

Ryan

Reactions: Cool Joe
Welcome to SMF from South Carolina. I would like to think your meat may be too close to the firebox if you are getting charred bark but you could have other issues as well. Are you reading temp at the grate level or on the dome gauge? Are you getting thin blue smoke or heavy white smoke? I burnt a couple of prices of chicken in my OK Joe Highland on my first cook due to them being close to the fire box wall. Keep experimenting and asking for advice and you’ll be churning out good Q before you know it.

Adam
I am getting more white than thin blue smoke, but my meat was right next to the firebox opening. I did just get a remote temp gauges that has a grate temp and a meat temp I am going to do my next Butt across the grate from the firebox and look more carefully on how to get the right smoke any ti8ps on the thin blue smoke would be appreciated--Thanks

I am getting more white than thin blue smoke, but my meat was right next to the firebox opening. I did just get a remote temp gauges that has a grate temp and a meat temp I am going to do my next Butt across the grate from the firebox and look more carefully on how to get the right smoke any ti8ps on the thin blue smoke would be appreciated--Thanks
My tip for thin blue smoke is to run a fire just big enough to give you the temps you want. I have found the more I stick in the fire box the dirtier my smoke is. I take my splits down to about 1.5 in in diameter as well. You will add wood more due to size but it burns clean.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky