New to smokers...need a little help picking out the right one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Temp got up to 270 pretty quick (35 minutes or so).  I have it set to 275 which I don't think is a big deal it can't get up those 5 degrees.  I think the heating element turned off so I could have reached it when I wasn't looking and is now going down.  It is about 50 degrees out right now.

Yeah I have two of the same grill lol The old one to the left is mine from about 7 years ago and the new one on the right is my friends.  He gave it to me with a tank for free because he couldn't have it at his condo.

h22lude, I would be careful about operating in the rain unless your MES is in a covered area.  The back is NOT sealed, water can penetrate the back and foul wiring/connectors/insulation. Of course the digital controller needs to be protected.  I will say that for several years I used mine under the eave of my roof, on the down wind side of the house.  My MES lived there on a stand covered for several years.  When rainy season came I added an extra piece of heavy duty plastic as an additional storage cover.  I smoked with it raining several times, but there was no rain water hitting the top or back, if I thought the rain might be an issue I would put our 10x10 popup canopy for added protection.  We bought a new house (new to us a foreclosure), and my MES lives in a covered cook/BBQ area.

I just finished seasoning.  I put in a handful of hickory.  At first I was getting TBS but then it started to get white.  It wasn't coming out like crazy but it definitely went from blue to white.  I do think I put in too much chips.  The loader was about 75% full.  So when I smoke this Sunday I'll start with about half of what I put in.

The rain was only a sprinkle and I had the control covered.  It did get a little wet on top of the unit but I wiped it off.  Nothing dripped down the sides.  I unplugged it and let it cool with the door open.  It is outside but I covered it with the box it came in and a plastic bag on top.

Though I did unplug it without turning it off...I completely forgot.

Doing my first smoke right now. Two racks of baby back ribs. Took off the membrane, put on some yellow mustard and covered the ribs with a rub I made. They sat in the fridge over night. This morning I preheated the smoker to 270. Put the ribs in and about 8 chips. Smoked a little. I then put in another 8 or so chips and now I'm getting white smoke. What can I do to get TBS? I think I read on here that the wood tray could be touching the element which will cause the chips to smoke. I tried to look and couldn't tell if the tray was touching or not. Any suggestions?

Update: I just opened the loader and the chips were on fire. I assume this means the element is too close?

Last edited:
Well, you can tinker some more with your techniqe for using the chip tray or use an AMNSP to get TBS. Lot's of MES owners have chosen the AMNPS. Search this forum for "AMNPS" and you will find lots of compelling information that will likely convince you to get one.
YUP - that is the best answer for the MES 

MES New Owner Tips:

• Season it. (Many spray the inside with PAM)
• No extension cords, unless it is 12 ga or heavier
• Spray your racks with PAM prior to smoke (makes cleanup easier).
• Use alum foil on the water pan and drain pan, again for easier cleanup.
• Manual says preheating isn't necessary, I preheat, it will make getting up to initial set temp faster, and temp recovery when opening hatch faster. I preheat to 270º. Cold ambient 45º and lower 2 hours, 1 hour for warmer temps and as little as 30 min. in summer.
• Add boiling hot water to pan, this will allow you to get up to set temp faster.
Start the smoke with a few wood chips. The manual says 1 cup max, you will find a hand full is almost too much. 1st chip dump just a few chips (8 to 10 chips), 15 min later a little more chips (10-12 chips), 30 min even more chips  (12 to 15). At this point you will have a bed of hot chips and ash, and chip combustion should be good. Your goal is TBS (thin blue smoke), each smoker is different so the quantity of chips will vary slightly. When its right you can smell the sweet smoke, it won't smell bitter or be cloudy white. Dark smoke is nothing but awful.
• Do not adjust vent leave it wide open.  (Unless using a AMNS or AMNPS then follow their product instructions).
• Use external probe for sensing meat internal temp, you can run the probe cord through the exhaust vent. *You may want to run 2nd probe inserted into a wood block or potato with 2 to 3" tip exposed to verify the internal MES cooking temp.
• Once your meat is loaded, avoid opening the hatch. New models can recover to set temp faster, but every time you open the door you extend the cooking time. Thus spritzing isn't really necessary in a MES due to the water pan keeping the smoking environment moist enough to not dry out the meat.
• If you do have to open your MES plan your moves so you can keep door open time to a minimum.
• When your done cooking, the proper way to shut the MES down is to turn off the controller then unplug.
• If your MES seems to struggle getting to either the preheat temp of 270º or is taking extraordinary long times to raise to cooking temps after meat is loaded try doing a RESET..
Proper RESET = cycle the MES off with the controller, unplug electrical cord, count to 10, replug elect. cord, turn on MES with on/off, reset temps.
If you tried a reset, and 20-30 minutes later there is little change do the reset again.
• Cleanup is easy with a Brillo pad to scrub the tough stuff, and throw grates, water & drain pan into dishwasher. Some have complained about the spot welds on the drain pan rusting, I hit those spots with a touch of PAM then store the cleaned stuff back in the MES.
You do not need to clean the inside cabinet, most experienced smokers consider that just seasoning. With a hot wet rag, wipe out the inside bottom and any excessive gunk on the walls. Again with hot damp cloth, wipe the door gasket, and the door frames (for better seal).

• If your new MES does not work properly simply call Masterbuilt, their customer service is generally excellent.

Some MES Mods are shown here.

I strongly recommend the AMNPS to extend smoke time to as much as 8 to 10 hours, some say they have even got more smoke time.  My last pork butt, the AMNPS smoke lasted 8 hours.

The AMNPS is definitely on my list of things to buy.  I did use very little chips like you mentioned in bold.  I actually used a little less since I was getting a lot of smoke.  I'll have to go through the mod thread.  I think if I get the tray off the element it might be better.  If I can't easily fix this I'll just have to get the AMNPS.

I need some advise on how to clean the smoke stain off of the glass on my master built 40 electric smoker. The book says just wipe them off with damp cloth. That removes nothing. My e-mail address is [email protected]. I really need some help with this . Thank you

Wipe it off with damp cloth before it cools down. I use a cloth wet with some Dawn dish soap in hot water then dry with another cloth and everything comes right off. I have some silicone oven mitts that allow me to use very hot water, but even warm water should work, (if you don't let the unit cool and it all hardens on the glass).

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky