New to site

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinintexas

Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Wow...what a great find on the web! Just wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to good feedback and trading out info with all of you.

Started smoking about 1 1/2 years ago. Currently using a CharBroil Silver Smoker. Good entry-level equipment. Big believer in combining wood and charcoal together to get results. Finally bought a temp gauge for the smoker today. Been winging it and it's time to get serious. Gave it a test run and surprised such a thin-walled smoker could hold so much heat. Varied success with brisket, pulled pork and sausage.

On tap for this weekend...brisket and pulled pork. Any thoughts on the following:

Brisket: Marinating? Never marinated or brined...not big in Texas but have had various comments from other smokers on their success. Also...wrapped or unwrapped for the duration of the smoke? I always start off unwrapped for 3 hours then wrap for the remainder...12 hours total. Sometimes brisket comes out tough...almost as if it boils in it's own juice. Think bare for the duration with a frequent mop might be the way to go.

Pork: Recent comments on injection with apple juice. Thoughts? I usually make a rub with brown sugar and wrap the butt in foil after about 2 hours of smoke.

Ready to set up for the weekend!!!

SmokinInTexas

Welcome, Glad to have you with us. This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For Those of you New to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.
Click Here it's "FREE"... 5 Day eCourse

Everyone here enjoys seeing the Qview so be sure to post plenty of pics...

Large ones that us old people with bad eyes can see.

When you uploading to Photobucket I always use the Large IMG setting, 640 x 480 it is a nice size...

How to post Qview to Forum:

Welcome aboard Texas, you have just found the best site for smoking meats.
Remember, take some pics of your smokes this weekend, we like pics
icon_mrgreen.gif

Welcome to SMF. Glad to have you here.

Good to have you aboard. You are right, this place is a great find. You are jumping into a proverbial worm can with the wrapped vs. non wrapped debate. You will find devotee's of both camps here, as well as many who don't feel strongly either way and occasionally foil and occasionally don't. Give it all a try and report your results.

Greetings and Welcome to the community.

Enjoy your stay at
SMF
Settle in and have fun.
Any questions, ask the experts... and make yourself at home.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to the site Smokin, great to have you aboard.

I think injecting you rpork for pulling is a great idea, it really helps to add another level of flavor and juicyness to the meat.

As for the wrapping on both cuts, with the pork try waiting until the internal hits about 160-165 and then wrap in foil and bring to 205, once it hits 205 wrap in a towel and place into a cooler or turned off oven or microwave and allow to rest for at least an hour before pulling.
As for brisket, the last one I did I used an injection of some of the rub, a bit of water and some honey and it was great, gave the meat a nice subtle natural sweetness.
Now brisket is one of those meats that benefits from a lot of smoke time, a good process to try would be to smoke until the brisket hits 170 then wrap in foil and bring to about 185, pull back out of foil and back on the smoker bare to crisp up the crust, now you could just bring it to 190 in the foil but I think a brisket really benefits from a nice crunchy bark.

With both meats another good rule of thumb is to spritz (any mixture you use will work but many use nothing more than apple juice) your meat every hour after the first hour.
Don't crank up your smoker temp when you hit your stall and with most cuts, especially butts and brisket you will hit a stall, sometimes even two, just ride it out and you will be fine.
Reserve all juices that form after foiling your meat, cool them and skim the fat off the top and add back to the meat before serving, Mmmmmm.........
With pulled pork, give finishing sauce a try, it really enhances the flavor of the meat.
Brisket, You might want to think about giving burnt ends a try, cubing the point of a brisket once it is done then tossing with some sauce and rub and smoking for another few hours, I just made my first batch about a week ago and loved them.

Hope any of this has been helpful, any questions about anything please feel free to ask, always someone around who is more than willing to try and help out.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you aboard.

Welcome one from the Lone Star State, you'll find plenty of good advise/tip from some great folks who enjoy sharing good times.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky