New smokehouse and issue with low temeprature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lost66

Original poster
Aug 29, 2021
Howdy folks!
First post so hello from NC :)

I am originally from Poland and I really missed a real smoked sausage so I built my own smoker. And first smoking was a complete fail. Too low temperature...
I build my smoker based on a thread https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cedar-smokehouse-construction.130460/ and I have a big issue with temperature. The biggest temperature I have is 120F (with 90F outside...).
PXL_20210810_181913832.jpg
PXL_20210807_212836356.jpg

The pipe is not isolated, it is just air in cinder block construction. It is around 60" between smoker and fire box.
I installed a 800W heater from old electric smoker to heat air inside smoker but it only increased the temperature by like 10F. I installed 1400W with no significant change. Any advise what I can do to achieve 180F inside the box?

It looks like the pipe end may be too close to the bricks, that may lower air flow.
The exhaust may also be restricting flow but it's hard to see the set up from the pictures.
In addition, you won't get full heat until the pipe heats up which may take a while with no wrapping.

Howdy folks!
First post so hello from NC :)

I am originally from Poland and I really missed a real smoked sausage so I built my own smoker. And first smoking was a complete fail. Too low temperature...
I build my smoker based on a thread https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/cedar-smokehouse-construction.130460/ and I have a big issue with temperature. The biggest temperature I have is 120F (with 90F outside...). View attachment 509204View attachment 509205

The pipe is not isolated, it is just air in cinder block construction. It is around 60" between smoker and fire box.
I installed a 800W heater from old electric smoker to heat air inside smoker but it only increased the temperature by like 10F. I installed 1400W with no significant change. Any advise what I can do to achieve 180F inside the box?
So are you burning wood in the firebox? Or do you have an electric element in the fire box?

I burn wood and have a heater inside the smoker itself. Just above pipe outlet.

I just finished smoking and I was able to achieve 190F but I needed to do a big fire and I used a lot of wood. Total smoking time 4h, 3.5h with around 120F, 30min 190F.

Do you guys make a big fire with a lot of heat or small, barely visible fire?

Like others have said look at exhaust stack. Also that pipe is pretty close and you air inlet seems small. May also be better to have air inlet where has straight line into pipe like other build design you references

looks like not enough air flow through the fire box and smoke house... Open the FB door and see if the temp rises... If not, you need more exhaust..

SMOKEHOUSE SMOKE PIPE TEE 2.jpg

I burn wood and have a heater inside the smoker itself. Just above pipe outlet.

I just finished smoking and I was able to achieve 190F but I needed to do a big fire and I used a lot of wood. Total smoking time 4h, 3.5h with around 120F, 30min 190F.

Do you guys make a big fire with a lot of heat or small, barely visible fire?
The smokehouse purpose is to cold or cool smoke. If you want to hot smoke it’s a little different deal, but doable. I can run mine up to 200* beyond that I use a different cooker.

Reactions: daveomak
Where did you find the door for the fire box?

I think I just need to make a bigger heat. I will smoke in few weeks and I will start from making a really big heat at the beginning, maybe using briquette. I will send an update with pictures how do I smoke so you can guys review and maybe suggest some different techniques. I know, this is simple process, it is a fire :) But still, I am just starting this journey.

Scramble egg with yesterdays sausage was one of the best I have ever eaten :)

I think I just need to make a bigger heat. I will smoke in few weeks and I will start from making a really big heat at the beginning, maybe using briquette. I will send an update with pictures how do I smoke so you can guys review and maybe suggest some different techniques. I know, this is simple process, it is a fire :) But still, I am just starting this journey.

Scramble egg with yesterdays sausage was one of the best I have ever eaten :)

It lost the amazon link. Can you just paste the name of the FB door and I'll search it?

One design I saw had baffles on the sides of the fire box. You may want to rebuild the fire box to include those, that way you can control the amount of air getting in, and it sounds like you aren't getting enough air intake.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky