New MES, anything I should know?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I found out, tonight, that mine has the same issue.  10 F right now, same error code.

Waiting for it to heat up with a votive candle (getting there slowly), not what I expected when I purchased this less than 2 months ago.

I may just return it to Lowes or exchange it.

I saw one of the new larger units with the remote when we stopped at Sams in St. Louis, kinda liked it.

I did some hot smoke salmon today.  It was about 30F out.  The controller beeped at me as if to say "You talking to me!" and showed me the EAAF error code.  My smoker is a 4-year old MES, but the controller is fairly new -- purchased from customer service a couple months ago.

Based on what I read here, I tried to heat up the thermostat with a hot water soaked paper towel.  Not good enough.  Next we boiled some water in a spagetti pot and put it into the smoker on a rack.  Closed the door and the internal temperature rose up to 140F in no time at all.  Took the pot of water out, and reset the controller (unplug, count to 10, plug back in) and from then on it worked fine.

Temperature probably never got above 36F today.  It looked like the smoker was putting out a large amount of white smoke, but I'm pretty sure it was steam from the water tray.

I'm posting a Qview of the salmon smoke.  You could look there to see the water pot steaming away when I put it in.  I'll be posting it in the FISH forum.

I found out, tonight, that mine has the same issue.  10 F right now, same error code.

Waiting for it to heat up with a votive candle (getting there slowly), not what I expected when I purchased this less than 2 months ago.

I may just return it to Lowes or exchange it.

I saw one of the new larger units with the remote when we stopped at Sams in St. Louis, kinda liked it.
Hey Diesel that's a good excuse to upgrade there, but if you keep it contact Darryl the MESTechguy he will fix it for you...Vernski

I didn't have to re-set it last night, with the candle in it, it got up to about 27 according to my maverick then it started to rise rapidly, pulled the candle & let it preheat.

First shoulder that I have done in this one, didn't care for it too much.  Didn't go through much wood & not enough smoke taste.  I had the damper mostly closed, I will try mid or fully open next time to try to induce more smoke.

I have to go through & study some of the mods if I am going to keep this one.  I prefer to use chunks over chips.  That is one thing that I liked about my ECB, once I got it going I could load up a couple of chunks in a pan on the burner then let it go all night.

I've seen the error code also, but today expecting it and knowing what to do thanks to everyone, it didn't happen. It was 25 degrees here late this morning and very windy, snow covered and blowing everywhere, and the son-of-a-gun fired right up. Had it purring away at 225 in 30 minutes. Go figure.

Quote:
First shoulder that I have done in this one, didn't care for it too much.  Didn't go through much wood & not enough smoke taste.  I had the damper mostly closed, I will try mid or fully open next time to try to induce more smoke.

I have to go through & study some of the mods if I am going to keep this one.  I prefer to use chunks over chips.  That is one thing that I liked about my ECB, once I got it going I could load up a couple of chunks in a pan on the burner then let it go all night.

1. The damper should be wide open. No need to suffocate it. It needs to breathe. That'll help tremendously.

2. Take the chunks and cut them up a little bit smaller at first to get a good hot ash base to work with. I, too, prefer chunks but I cut them up into 1/2" pieces (3 or 4 in the smoker at a time). Then you can put the bigger pieces in and go back to bed.

Good luck!

Here's what you should know, they are made in China and will not heat below 32* unless you use a hair-dryer to heat the unit up. This is the 30" black ones i don't know about the other sizes good luck....Vernski
That's an odd one.

I can't remember anyone else having to use a hair dryer to start their MES 30. Mine worked fine all last Winter, and it got way below 32˚ in PA. Since you got yours from Cabela's, did you try to take it back? You obviously got a lemon.

Bear
Yeah, there are plenty of posts on this flaw.  Even in the Tampa Bay area I got an error message a few weeks ago when our temps dropped to near freezing.  Delayed my smoke for nearly an hour until I could get it warmed up.  Got it working then while preheating it cut out again with an error message due to the ambient outside temps.  I ended up laying a sock with rice inside that had been heated in the micro for a heat blanket till it could get heat up enough. 

Here's what you should know, they are made in China and will not heat below 32* unless you use a hair-dryer to heat the unit up. This is the 30" black ones i don't know about the other sizes good luck....Vernski
That's an odd one.

I can't remember anyone else having to use a hair dryer to start their MES 30. Mine worked fine all last Winter, and it got way below 32˚ in PA. Since you got yours from Cabela's, did you try to take it back? You obviously got a lemon.

Bear
Yeah, there are plenty of posts on this flaw.  Even in the Tampa Bay area I got an error message a few weeks ago when our temps dropped to near freezing.  Delayed my smoke for nearly an hour until I could get it warmed up.  Got it working then while preheating it cut out again with an error message due to the ambient outside temps.  I ended up laying a sock with rice inside that had been heated in the micro for a heat blanket till it could get heat up enough. 

Very interesting.

They must be doing something about that---That aint right!

Mine worked fine yesterday at 15˚.

Todd's work at -8˚. (I don't work at -8˚)

Bear

I have had the same problem, easiest way I have found to trick the thermometer is to put a pan of hot water in it for a couple of min. and the error message will go away.

I'm in Virginia and it was about 18 degrees yesterday morning.  Went to put my shoulder in the MES and got the EAAF error message.  Checked a couple of message boards and tried the hairdryer blowing on the thermostat for a minute, turned it on and it worked fine.

Still a pain in the ass though.

I'm in Virginia and it was about 18 degrees yesterday morning.  Went to put my shoulder in the MES and got the EAAF error message.  Checked a couple of message boards and tried the hairdryer blowing on the thermostat for a minute, turned it on and it worked fine.

Still a pain in the ass though.
Hi Simm get a hold of Darryl the MesTechguy he will take care of your problems with the controler by sending a replacement . You can PM him on this forum or call Masterbuilt direct at 1-800-489-1581...Vernski

Dale is correct, simply put a pot of boiling water inside near the top, close the door, and in 5 minutes you're in business. A pain yes, but isn't Winter a pain anyway for those of us that live in the cold states? Meanwhile gentleman, smoke on...Spring's a comin..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky