New Years Eve/Day superstitions anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
I have compiled a fairly complete list of the more conventional or popular do’s and dont’s for good luck in 2024. I can’t say any of this works, but with all the crap dealt to us over the last several years, I’m thinking we should incorporate as many as possible and need all the help we can get. 🙏 … and maybe have a little fun with it.

LUCKY FOODS:

Pork (prosperity, pigs root around moving forward)
Lentils, black-eyed peas (prosperity, resembles coins)
Cornbread (prosperity, resembles gold bars)
Leafy greens (prosperity, resembles folding money)
Long noodles (Long life, must be eaten whole not cut short)
Whole fish (wellness and abundance)

DONT EAT:

Anything with wings (eg chicken & turkey)( your good luck could fly away)
Anything that swims or moves backwards or sideways (chicken, lobster, crab, etc) or bottom-feeders(shrimp, crab, flounder, catfish)(setbacks during the year)
White colored foods (eggs, bread, rice)(white symbolize death in ancient China)

ALSO DONT:

Clean plate on NYE (unlucky, leave a little food on plate past midnight to ward off bad luck)
Take anything out of the house (your good luck can escape out)
Wash anything (laundry, dishes, shower/bath)(washing good luck down the drain)

DO:

At midnight, eat 12 grapes, one for each month
Before midnight, open front door to let bad luck out and good luck in
Start new year on the right foot, When awakening, put down right foot first
Stuff some money under your carpet/rug

I never hear of any of them.
But, if you've have good luck during the year, wouldn't "Before midnight, open front door to let bad luck out and good luck in", work in reverse and let the bad luck in? 🤣

I never hear of any of them.
But, if you've have good luck during the year, wouldn't "Before midnight, open front door to let bad luck out and good luck in", work in reverse and let the bad luck in? 🤣
If I’d had good luck, I’d barricade the doors 🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 02ebz06
The wife got me with the black-eyed peas once. While I love most legumes in general, I consider it good luck if I never again have to eat another black-eyed pea as long as I live. Those have to be the only pea/bean I find offensive.

Reactions: chopsaw
I always run the grill or smoker for the first day of a new year . I bought a whole Beef tenderloin that I'll cut some steaks out of for Tomorrow's supper .
I can't stand Black eyed peas , and if I prosper anymore I won't be able to stand it .

Now Great Northerns and a double smoked ham bone is a different story , and I happen to have both .

Our tradition is Rib Roast on New Year's Day. 1 year we couldn't get any, and we had Ribeye Steaks instead. That year was still OK, lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
Superstitions originated when people were uneducated and unable to understand why things happened in their world. I suppose it is fun to play around with these old superstitions but personally I don't believe in any of it.

Happy New Year everyone and don't forget to visit your doctors.

John
Thankfully I visited my Dr just before Christmas!

Ryan

Reactions: BandCollector
Superstitions originated when people were uneducated and unable to understand why things happened in their world. I suppose it is fun to play around with these old superstitions but personally I don't believe in any of it.

Happy New Year everyone and don't forget to visit your doctors.

John
I’m with you, but I consider smoking more pork, not doing laundry, and getting my wife to twirl instead of cutting spaghetti to be valuable superstitions 😁

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky