Neighbors ever complain about smoke???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
"One is Steel Dust;
Having worked 20 years at Bethlehem Steel, in Bethlehem, I can tell you most of us who didn't also live in Bethlehem had an extra car to drive to work in. It was a junker that could sit in Bethlehem & get covered in Rusted Steel dust every day & All day. I would say that was hard on the lungs."

Second that Bear, grew up 2 miles from USX Fairless Works. All my friends father's had a pos rust brown vehicle and when the wind was just right it you could taste the steel in you mouth. Let alone the coal/coke dust and acid rain from blast furnace's. Ah good times.

Last edited:
Amen !!    What about living in smelling range of a Paper Mill Refinery or wast treatment plant   Ahhh  the aroma

Gary

My apologies for going off topic and in response to Bears post, I wanted to share my Smells too lol!

If you want smells, and infringement on the right to breathe clean air, move to Philly.
  • Paulsboro refinery releasing  Sulfur Dioxide and Hydrogen Sulfide into the air.
  • Sludge dredging
  • Rohm and Haas x 2
  • Cat piss smell from New Jersey power plant.
  • Mcloskey Varnish
  • pollution control plant
  • Water Treatment plant Southwest Wastewater Treatment Center
  • Water Treatment plant Southeast Wastewater Treatment Center
  • Water Treatment plant Northeast Wastewater Treatment Center
“As the candidates in the 2015 mayoral contest have mostly raced to embrace the energy-hub proposal, there's been little debate about air pollution from the Philadelphia Energy Solutions refinery, even as it spews tons of toxic chemicals every year into the city's skies and continues to be flagged by regulators for contributing to the region's smog problem, one of the worst in the nation.”

“In 2013, according to the latest statistics available from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the site - the largest oil refinery on the East Coast - let loose 701,284 pounds (or more than 350 tons) of hazardous air pollutants, including roughly 29 tons of benzene, a potent carcinogen, and many more tons of other toxins that experts say can contribute to breathing problems such as asthma.”

“Despite new spending on pollution controls that have reduced those numbers since Philadelphia Energy Solutions took control of the refinery in the summer of 2012, city air-quality inspectors cited the plant last fall for a number of alleged violations during 2013, including emissions of nitrogen oxide, or NOx - a key component of smog - and carbon monoxide, as well as flaring and work-rules violations. The company is appealing the citation.”

There is also mother nature stinking up the neighborhood with the Pyrus Calleryana  “Semen Tree” and the Ginkgo “Vomit Tree”. That seem to be everywhere in Philly.

I've got COPD, chronic obstructively pulmonary disease, a combination of chronic bronchitis, asthma and emphysema, am on oxygen 24/7/365 and smoke meat as often as I can...
Got 30# of butts and a fatty going on Friday AM...
The smoke nor smell bother me at all.

I knew someone who grew hot peppers (like habaneros) on a commercial scale. He used the method of laying down long rows of black plastic, and planting the peppers in holes punched in the plastic. The method works well, but fast-forward to the end of the season when it's time to pull up the frost-killed peppers with all their pods, along with the plastic. How to dispose of it? Burn it.

This right next to a major state highway. I told him I would never want to drive through that plume.

have never had any complaint, but its weird in my neighbourhood  hardly anyone uses their  backyards  even in the summer.   i suppose im lucky that way   besides   my one neighbour  is a Ukrainian  guy who burns wood down to coals  in a big metal box and cooks kebabs  on it so i doubt  he'd complain 

[If at least 3 people block a user within a 1 hour time frame, then that user is unable to post anything until a mod has had time to review what the user was posting and decide to perma-ban or not.

What do you think? That way the community can self regulate.]

Is this still a viable option. It was posted in 2015.

social advocate - sees building in need of a ramp - petitions to have ramp built.

social justice warrior - stands outside the building and kneecaps everyone not in a wheelchair that passes by for daring to offend them by not needing a ramp. then shames them for not being handicapped to begin with.

polite request and complaint to the mods - this person is detracting from the tone and spirit of the board. I understand the notion of 'free speech, even if it offends', but that's not a constitutionally protected right  for a private group, nor does it protect the speaker from repercussions.

Please sanction this person. their postings add nothing to the discussion (and in fact, has made us as a whole, far less willing to discuss the matter, and whether or not it is a reasonable, rational branch of thought) and instead have been nothing but highly misinformed vitriolic rantings and insults.

I think in this case, it's been unanimously upheld that there have been zero positive interactions, and so this person needs to go. Can we make this happen before we wind up losing members to other forums due to this?

I have this user blocked, and yet still wind up reading the nonsense posted as it comes through in email alerts.

More to the point, I'd like to call out that these postings are politically motivated, in that someone has an agenda to push, and run counter to the spirit of the board (I.e. - smoking meat and all things related) 

The topic itself might bear serious discussion, which we can (and perhaps should pursue) but not on the terms of someone who obviously created an account simply to cause trouble.

If we allow this sort of thing to proliferate, then we'll wind up no better than reddit (no offense to any redditors here) or 4chan. 

and that does not make for a family friendly site, no more than a PETA protest poster of a nude woman on the main page would.

Please, admins.. I finally just got 'home' again. And I personally am offended by this person's continued presence here.. whether they have a point or not, they're unwilling to discuss it in a civil fashion, nor are they going to be convinced by any counter-evidence. Let them go elsewhere.

Aubrey.

This yahoo was shown the door. Thread opened again. Thanks CFarmer for keeping this thread from getting out of hand any further.

thank you, and I'd like to apologize for my part in this. I can usually leave well enough alone... live and let live, you know? but there are some people that just have an instant and ridiculously efficient ability to get under my skin. 

back to the discussion at hand - I'd personally be thrilled to live in a neighborhood/area with fireplaces/smokers. it's probably one of the most comforting scents in the world to me.

not everyone shares that sentiment, whether for health reasons, or just because they don't care for that particular kind of incense. as responsible people, what could we do to minimize impact? (if it needs doing) 

From what I understand, particulate matter isn't an issue outside of the immediate area (25' or so, depending on the density of the smoke, which with smokers keeping it thin and blue, the smoke density and carried matter is really pretty low - actually remarkably so, compared to the average campfire, and let's not even mention leaf burns, or that old backcountry tradition of the burn barrel, which we still see a lot of here in north texas)

so.. 'if' we lived in a place where ground level smoke release was going to be an issue.. what could we do to mitigate that? I've seen a mention of piping it up a drainpipe, which I thought was pretty brilliant. any other ideas?

Last edited:
I hate to get into this but it's too good...
As I said in an earlier post I suffer from COPD...Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
I use supplemental oxygen 24/7/365...I use nebulized medication three times a day, use a corticosteroid inhaler twice a day and carry an emergency asthma inhaler with me AT ALL TIMES...I understand better than most about inhaled irritants...that being said...
The smell of burning wood, like a camp fire or fireplace fire, the smell of burning charcoal or the smell of meat smoking has never, ever, never ever bothered me as long as I'm intelligent enough to not stand directly in the smoke plume and breath it in.
What DOES ABSOLUTELY send me into a "take your breath away" coughing fit are certain perfumes, deodorants, soaps and or shampoos. I've been forced to leave offices or buildings, get off elevators, get out of cars and can't ride public transportation sometimes.
There's a huge difference between a smell being unpleasant or annoying and being dangerous and or unhealthy.
I don't think anyone has the right to abolish something or demand someone abandon a personal pleasure simply because someone else is annoyed.

Walt.

I hate to get into this but it's too good...
As I said in an earlier post I suffer from COPD...Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
I use supplemental oxygen 24/7/365...I use nebulized medication three times a day, use a corticosteroid inhaler twice a day and carry an emergency asthma inhaler with me AT ALL TIMES...I understand better than most about inhaled irritants...that being said...
The smell of burning wood, like a camp fire or fireplace fire, the smell of burning charcoal or the smell of meat smoking has never, ever, never ever bothered me as long as I'm intelligent enough to not stand directly in the smoke plume and breath it in.
What DOES ABSOLUTELY send me into a "take your breath away" coughing fit are certain perfumes, deodorants, soaps and or shampoos. I've been forced to leave offices or buildings, get off elevators, get out of cars and can't ride public transportation sometimes.
There's a huge difference between a smell being unpleasant or annoying and being dangerous and or unhealthy.
I don't think anyone has the right to abolish something or demand someone abandon a personal pleasure simply because someone else is annoyed.

Walt.

Points for this post. Real world experience.

Thank you

Sorry for your situation thou.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky