Meat smells like over boiled eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob1715

Original poster
Nov 17, 2023
Hi,

Do you know what over boiled eggs smell like? Those that have green to grayish yolks? That’s what my wet cured pork butt smells like.

I got into smoking just a few weeks ago and eventually got interested in curing meat. Just to try, I bought a 1.5kg pork butt from a local butcher (newly butchered pig), and cured it using the following mixture:

1.1L water
36g sea salt
6g curing salt no. 1
10g brown sugar

I injected some of the mixture, put it in a plastic bucket making sure it was entirely submerged, then to the fridge, and that’s it. Just a day after I started, I noticed it was starting to smell like over boiled eggs (or volcanic ashes… I wish I could provide a better example). It was strong, but the meat looks fine. By strong, I meant it wasnt pleasant at all.

I’m not sure if this is what it was supposed to smell like as I have never seen a meat being cured before, whether wet or dry.

Is this smell normal? Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_8070.jpeg
    IMG_8070.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8071.jpeg
    IMG_8071.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
Could be just the pork. Especially if the meat is from a local raised pig and not commercial commodity pork.
Others will see this and may have some ideas for you. How cold is the refrigerator? You want it at 3*C/36*F....

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Could be just the pork. Especially if the meat is from a local raised pig and not commercial commodity pork.
Others will see this and may have some ideas for you. How cold is the refrigerator? You want it at 3*C/36*F....
Ohhhhh… This must be where I messed up. My thermometer is showing 50F. That’s something I didnt learn from youtube university unfortunately. 😅 No way to save this now?

Reactions: JLeonard
Fridge temp is key with brines especially.

Sounds to me like the meat is spoiling. Your salt in combination weight of meat and water is around 1.5% this is low and way low for a 50* fridge. I would toss it and try again.

Last edited:
I keep my meat fridge at 37° or less. Granted, temp swings may go above that for short periods, but that's about where I average.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your advice. Already threw the meat. Poor pig, part of him went to waste. 😢 It’s a bummer that the highest setting of my fridge couldnt get lower than 50F. Will use the one in my office.

Anyway, before I start with the next one, are there other issues you’ve seen with what I did other than the fridge temp? Like the mixture?

Thank you so much for your advice. Already threw the meat. Poor pig, part of him went to waste. 😢 It’s a bummer that the highest setting of my fridge couldnt get lower than 50F. Will use the one in my office.

Anyway, before I start with the next one, are there other issues you’ve seen with what I did other than the fridge temp? Like the mixture?
This is virtually fool proof.

Pop’s Brine.

1 gallon of water.
1 cup of salt (pickling or granulated salt no iodide)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 heaping Tbs of cure #1

I haven't yet cured a whole butt, but do plenty of bacon and cured sausages. If I were going to turn a whole butt into a ham, I would go this route for sure.

Probably goes without saying but 50F isn't a safe temp for anything requiring refrigeration to prevent spoilage.
It should, absolutely. To be honest, I didn't really give much thought to the temps my fridges were running until I got into curing and sausage making.

Reactions: indaswamp
A 50*F fridge sounds broken. Even my 16YO fridge has a temperature display on it that is set to 37*. Same with my kegerator.

If I had any ham that smelt like boiled eggs it would go strait into the trash.

2023_fridge_temp.jpg

Last edited:
36-42 is the proper fridge temps, a lot of fridges let you see what it's set at but doesn't show what the actual temp is. freezer is 0-5 with 0 being the preferred.

Reactions: DougE
36-42 is the proper fridge temps, a lot of fridges let you see what it's set at but doesn't show what the actual temp is. freezer is 0-5 with 0 being the preferred.
I shoot for 37° since the temps will swing some between compressor cycles. My meat/curing fridge is in an area that isn't climate controlled and requires some seasonal adjustments, so I keep a digital fridge therm in it all the time.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky