Need some help with smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

young j

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 20, 2017
Miami Dade County
Hey so for thanksgiving I decided to smoke a ham. I ended up buying a 13lb raw uncured ham & it is boneless. I plan on putting a rub on it, later add a glaze at the end & also want to make a Carolina mustard sauce to go on the side with it. I have a few questions I need answered
1) Is it ok if I don't have any cure or brine for the ham?
2) Should I shoot for an internal temp of 160?
3) how long does it usually take? I assumed it would take 8-12 hours, just need an estimation so I know when to start and make sure it's not done way too early
4) If you have any glaze you recommend I'd be happy to try it out

I could really use the help so I can impress the family with a good thanksgiving Ham, it will be much appreciated guys. If this doesn't sound like a good idea I'll return it and go buy a pre cooked ham or pork butt just to be safe.

Last edited:
Since the boneless "ham" you already bought is uncured it wont taste like ham. Now there is an exception in that it is possible that it is cured using celery powder under federal guidelines can still be called "uncured". Take a close look at the label. Otherwise what you will have is going to turn out like a pork roast. What exact cut of pork it is will also be determining factor for temperature you can finish it at. 150 to 160 is a good number for internal temp to shoot for for slicing, however you can easily go as higher, and that is when the connective tissue will start to break down.
Depending on the temperature at which you plan on smoking it should take you about 15 minutes per lb to get you in the ball park. Then followed by a wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler.

At this point, you do not have enough time to actually cure it with Cure#1 or TQ for thanksgiving.

Without knowing if it was cured with celery powder I would suggest getting a pre-cooked ham and then double smoking it. Bear has a very good and thorough instruction on that for you to follow.

Use the search tool for Bears double smoked ham and also for Dirtsailors Carolina Gold for the sauce and glaze. That would be really good!

Hey so for thanksgiving I decided to smoke a ham. I ended up buying a 13lb raw uncured ham & it is boneless. I plan on putting a rub on it, later add a glaze at the end & also want to make a Carolina mustard sauce to go on the side with it. I have a few questions I need answered
1) Is it ok if I don't have any cure or brine for the ham?
2) Should I shoot for an internal temp of 160?
3) how long does it usually take? I assumed it would take 8-12 hours, just need an estimation so I know when to start and make sure it's not done way too early
4) If you have any glaze you recommend I'd be happy to try it out

I could really use the help so I can impress the family with a good thanksgiving Ham, it will be much appreciated guys. If this doesn't sound like a good idea I'll return it and go buy a pre cooked ham or pork butt just to be safe.
You need to brine a ham for at least 5 days to go from raw to cured. at this late date I would make a double smoked ham use a regualr ham and inject it with brandy, brown sugar 1/2 cup of each and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. The smoke 3-4 hours at 180-200 degrees depending on the size. Double smoked ham is amazing.

Since the boneless "ham" you already bought is uncured it wont taste like ham. Now there is an exception in that it is possible that it is cured using celery powder under federal guidelines can still be called "uncured". Take a close look at the label. Otherwise what you will have is going to turn out like a pork roast. What exact cut of pork it is will also be determining factor for temperature you can finish it at. 150 to 160 is a good number for internal temp to shoot for for slicing, however you can easily go as higher, and that is when the connective tissue will start to break down.
Depending on the temperature at which you plan on smoking it should take you about 15 minutes per lb to get you in the ball park. Then followed by a wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler.

At this point, you do not have enough time to actually cure it with Cure#1 or TQ for thanksgiving.

Without knowing if it was cured with celery powder I would suggest getting a pre-cooked ham and then double smoking it. Bear has a very good and thorough instruction on that for you to follow.

Use the search tool for Bears double smoked ham and also for Dirtsailors Carolina Gold for the sauce and glaze. That would be really good!

The package says that it is the butt portion of the ham

You need to brine a ham for at least 5 days to go from raw to cured. at this late date I would make a double smoked ham use a regualr ham and inject it with brandy, brown sugar 1/2 cup of each and 1/4 teaspoon cloves. The smoke 3-4 hours at 180-200 degrees depending on the size. Double smoked ham is amazing.

I think I'm gonna return it and make a double smoked ham like you said just so I don't take any risk on a big holiday like thanksgiving. Didn't realize until I really started doing research that most people prefer it already cured so it gets the ham taste

Without seeing a pic of it, its hard to say what cut exactly it is. Why return it though, unless money is an issue, and how much you actually paid for it. It could still be worth making something out of later. For what its worth, I cured my own boneless "ham" this year. But it takes more than the day before thanksgiving to prepare. You could have done this had you started earlier. Yup. Go get yourself a prepared regular ham and double smoke it, and take all the credit as if you did it all!

Without seeing a pic of it, its hard to say what cut exactly it is. Why return it though, unless money is an issue, and how much you actually paid for it. It could still be worth making something out of later. For what its worth, I cured my own boneless "ham" this year. But it takes more than the day before thanksgiving to prepare. You could have done this had you started earlier. Yup. Go get yourself a prepared regular ham and double smoke it, and take all the credit as if you did it all!

It's "butt portion of the ham" and it is not boneless. I just didn't realize so many people buy it and double smoke it vs just cooking it raw. I would only return it cus I don't need a 13lb ham if I get one already cured

I think I'm gonna return it and make a double smoked ham like you said just so I don't take any risk on a big holiday like thanksgiving. Didn't realize until I really started doing research that most people prefer it already cured so it gets the ham taste
Very wise the brown sugar and brandy injected in to the ham is amazing people can't stop eating it.
Tastes and smells like very smokey bacon. YUM!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky